Peavey Classic 30 Upgrades?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 am

Hello. I used to post a lot, like 10 years ago, but this is the first time logging into the new site. I got out of guitar playing for a while and sold a bunch of stuff(but not my prized G&L Legacy) but am getting back into it. I sold my vintage amps years ago(1965 Fender Tremolux and Traynor YSR-1) and have gotten a Peavey Classic 30. I remember back when I had a Fender Blues Jr, I retubed it with NOS tubes and got a Weber California speaker and it really helped it's tone. Now that I have a Classis 30, I ask, what speaker and tubes should I go get? I know there are some killer mods out there, but I won't work on a PCB amp myself and really don't want to drop $150 more into a $400 amp after I plan on dropping $150 on a speaker and tubes.

Thanks,
Bigben

Re: Peavey Classic 30 Upgrades?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am

I am going to be buying a PEavey classic 30 hopefully this friday and await any suggestions as well...
thanks Bigben,

fitz

Re: Peavey Classic 30 Upgrades?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm

I've owned a Classic 30 for the last 2 years (just bought my first G&L though ;) ) and a Classic 50 for 4 years before that. I highly recommend the very active Peavey forum. There are a couple of know-it-alls over there that might hassle you for posting w/o searching but otherwise a good group. The group-think there seems to prescribe the following:

V1 Tung Sol
V2 ECC803S
V3 Sovtek LPS

It really depends what you are looking for but I'd support the V1 & V3 recommendations and say V2 being what colors the distortion on the lead channel is really up to you, you can lower the gain here or do whatever.

I've used JJs, EIs, Sovteks and Electro-Harmonix for power tubes. I'd say stick with the JJs or EIs. The consensus is these are the sweetest and chimiest of the bunch. That said the EHs I held up for 2+ years and stayed pretty consistent under the punishment I put them through, using an attenuator and diming my amp.

As for the speaker there are two camps, break in your Blue Marvel or replace it with Weber, Celestion or Eminence (don't ask me which models, you'll have to search the forum). Most agree that the stock Blue Marvel lacks as is but some feel all it needs is 40 hours of break-in either by playing through it, or piping white noise or moderate rock recordings through it. I personally have the head version of the C30 and play it through a Valve Jr cab which has an Eminence Lucky Lady. I didn't personally warm to the Blue Marvels in my Classic 50.

If you truly want to mod it Blue Guitar has a few. My biggest reason for possibly doing one of these mods on mine someday is the distortion on the lead channel can be a little harsh for me. In the meantime I simply roll off my tone knobs just a bit and/or set my treble below 7 or try to EQ it out somewhere else in the chain.

Seriously, I'm no expert. Check out the Whammy Bar and Grille. In the meantime I'm falling in love with my S-500 Tribute. That thing through my Classic 30 is like honey.