**** Better Late Than Never OR Early As LR ****

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Just saw that Ed beat me to it so consider this tomorrow's early edition...

Greetings Everyone!

Happy Tuesday or Wednesday depending of where you may be.

Its Wed & Winter in NZ but its fairly warm and its not raining so I'm not complaining. We recently have had a ton of rain here and a lot of flooding. My girlfriend and I just took a short trip south a couple hours drive for some hot pooling and nearly got stuck in a partially washed out road... seemed for a mo that the hot pooling was going to start while we were still in the car :o

Fair warning - Today is all gonna be about Telecasters (and ASATs) so for all you Strat/ LP fans - ya'll might want to sit this one out.

But first, lunch today will consist of some canned sardines with dijon mustard, a couple pieces of gluten-free bread (toasted) and some daikon (japanese) radish. May have a cup of tea as well.

Ok, I recently added this to my arsenal - '90 ASAT Classic

Some of ya'll may have seen it as i believe Gabe did a review of it - was listed on Ebay as a potential Bluesboy prototype....

More than likely it was/is an employee guitar and is compiled of Leo-era parts
The bridge pu sounds Fab and looks to be Leo-era but I've noticed it lacks the stamp on top of the bobbin - know what I mean? - most ASAT Classic bridge pu's have a number stamped into the top of the bobbin - think it 92. I couldn't find any info on here but perhaps someone knows what I'm talking bout and can enlighten me.
The bridge has ASAT Classic by Leo Fender on it and has the early steel bridge saddles. The bridge pu has the string wrapped round the coil/bobbin but its a bit sloppier than others I"ve seen. Sonically, tho its hot and almost sounds a bit microphonic - doesnt squeal with feedback tho I can hear my hand and fingers if I rap them on the p/g.

I'm really digging it tho, the look, feel, weight and most importantly the sound. Its probably the most resonant and acoustically loud guitar I've owned. It has a fairly light weight maple body (~ 7.5lbs) and a #4 neck both may account for much of its liveliness.

I'm a fan of #2 necks so I was surprised to find that I like the bigger flatter feel it has.
The thing I like the least about it is the Schaller Humbucking pu in the neck position. I'm a dyed in the wool single coil pickup guy so no surprise there - the only humucker I've really dug is the Seth Lover designed Fender HB that was used in the original Tele Thinlines, Deluxes etc... They use a different type of magnet - cunife which makes the pu sound really bright like a single coil.
I have a set of alnico MFDs that were custom made by a forum member and I'm thinking I may swap the humbucker out with the neck pu in the near future.

Kinda funny, my first Tele had a mini Gibson humbucker in the neck position and my first G&L was a mid 80's Rampage with a #4 neck so this gat is somewhat reminiscent of both!

So what have ya'll tried that you really dug but was/is out of your norm? And have you come full circle in regards to playing or gear?

Moving on....

I've owned many different tele types guitars over the years including my main gat which is a '90 ASAT Signature.
I've given a lot of thought to suss what gives a tele its classic sound. No doubt there are several factors but at the end of the day I'm convinced that the bridge tele pickup is the biggest factor followed by the bridge plate. My reasoning - my '90 ASAT sounds nothing like a tele in that it lacks the percussive midrange honk (I've even swapped out the stock MFD for the custom alnico set & they didn't make it sound any closer to a tele). Also, players like Springsteen who have swapped out the stock fender bridges & pu's still nail the tele sound in their guitars.

What's ya'll thinking on this? Any special insights or opinions on what accounts for the tele sound? (Just don't mention Brass vs. Steel and/or Spectrum Analizer :lol:

Speaking of Bruce - here's a couple cool clips you might not have seen which feature a couple of his teles...
[youtube]0Iz2RE6DA7w[/youtube]
[youtube]BAWa9eiSjw8[/youtube]

I'm a big fan on Leo-era gats but from what I hear the newer & new offerings from G&L are pretty happening & definitely have the tele tone intact...
[youtube]w-EBdAzUJ3g[/youtube]

Finally, here's a couple vids featuring some cool players + an Esquire!

***Mullet warning***
[youtube]nmeYob11D78[/youtube]

[youtube]vd8LnqBXpJY[/youtube]

Hope ya'll enjoyed today offerings!

Cheers,
Kf

Re: **** Better Late Than Never OR Early As LR ****

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 am

Katefan wrote:Just saw that Ed beat me to it so consider this tomorrow's early edition...

Ok .... see you tomorrow fellow time traveller

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 am

I've given a lot of thought to suss what gives a tele its classic sound. No doubt there are several factors but at the end of the day I'm convinced that the bridge tele pickup is the biggest factor followed by the bridge plate. My reasoning - my '90 ASAT sounds nothing like a tele in that it lacks the percussive midrange honk (I've even swapped out the stock MFD for the custom alnico set & they didn't make it sound any closer to a tele). Also, players like Springsteen who have swapped out the stock fender bridges & pu's still nail the tele sound in their guitars...................

something I'd always wondered, what EXACTLY gave that tone. I would have gone for the bridge assy/plate but then there is the GE Smith fender which doesnt have a normal ashtray bridge yet still manages that tone!!! is it more the style of single coil pup?.. those with more knowledge of this will surely tell :D

john

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 am

Kf, that is a beautiful Bluesboy. Could well be a prototype. A very clean looking build.

Asats have become some of my favorites. Of all I do like the Z-3's but the Asat specila is really a cooker. It has everything a person could want from a T-type guitar.

The weather in Minnesota has been extremely hot. A NZ winter would feel good right now. Our summers are getting hotter and who knows, it may be a natural cycle. We have recently had some much needed , good rain. Good to hear from you down under folks!-- Darwin

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:57 am

That guitar looks great. While I'm not a ASAT player, that double-bound I briefly had felt right. So the next one of those I come across will be bought. I was also told that it was immediately re-sold with NO neck/bridge problems!!! I should have known better, but that dude at AG&B and I don't get along; don't know why. Maybe he was mad that I bought it online as opposed to special-ordering it through them... Needless to say, he will NEVER touch one of my guitars again! Obviously, I'm still angry... Angry.

Great video choices and thanks for picking up the torch.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 am

it was pretty much concluded in the discussion when it showed up on ebay that it is not even a potential bluesboy prototype. just a tele with a humbucker in the neck.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi kf, Thanks for picking up the duties today. Very nice ASAT. I was following it when it was listed, and I was interested in the discussion about it. I don't own an ASAT... yet! So i am very interested in these types of discussions about them. Helps answer my questions about which model I decide to go with!

Dave

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm not a tele guy these days. My first Tele was my 1968 Fender Telecaster Thinline, in natural ash, with a Bigsby. Really good guitar, very "special" and jaw droppng looks. With the Bigsby and the semi-hollow body, slightly mellower than a solid-body. I bought it used, though it was only a few months old for $150 in late 1968. Unfortunately, that guitar was stolen in 1972. I did get it back, but it was screwed up. There weren't really any good luthiers in Seattle at that time, so I sold it. Traded it for a blonde maple Gibson ES-150CDN hollowbody 335--one of the most bone-headed trade-ins I've ever done. That guitar would not get in tune, stay in tune, play in tune--and it howled like a banshee at any volume above 2. Make that 1 and a 1/2. I finally sold that guitar, traded it in on my first Music Man Sabre II, taking a huge loss. And it was still one of the best trades I've ever made.

I owned an ASAT Classic SH in Honey for a few months in 2003, trying to recapture the magic of my youth. Definitely wasn't the same guitar as the Thinline. I had some problems with a microphonic bridge pickup--finally got that fixed--but it really didn't sound the same with the MFDs. I was also having a problem with the 7.5" radius, after years of playing 12" necks. Rather than replace the pickups, I decided to sell it. A local guy had a Comanche that he wanted to sell. He was a Tele guy, and I'm a Strat guy, and so we traded straight across and both happy as could be. And I love that Comanche!

I also have my ASAT Deluxe SB, which isn't really a "classic" Telecaster at all. The twin HBs probably appeal more to the Les Paul crowd. The coil split feature is usable, but it doesn't sound like a Tele--it sounds like a split HB. My guitar is a rarebird, with a DF Vibrato. It is a heavy guitar--heavier than all of my Les Pauls. Doesn't really sound like a Paul--I think it's actually closer to my 335s in tone. I think that is because the vibrato springs seem to add a little "air", and there is the extra routing. It's a gorgeous guitar--definitely the best flamed maple of any of my guitars. I don't use it a lot, because I prefer my Gibsons for most of my 2HB tones--I probably should sell it, but I hate letting it go. BTW, I bought this guitar used, and it was mint condition. It was traded in to my local Guitar Center by Art Alexakis of Everclear.

I could see getting another Tele some day--I like the Fender Road Worns, and I like that Squire Classic Vibe Tele Custom. Nice guitar for $349. But another ACSH with a 12" board has some appeal too. But actually, I would say that the Sabre II is really a modern, even futuristic, interpretation of Tele. It certainly has the brightness and the twang, and with the active preamp--so much more. To me, the Sabre is the best Leo Fender-designed guitar, by far.

Still, I'm a Legacy guy. And while I have owned a Les Paul style guitar of kind or other since 1972, I don't really consider myself a LP player--even though I have 11 Pauls at the moment. I love the tone of them, but they really feel weird to me. Changing back to the Legacy after playing the Les Paul feels like slipping on a pair of old soft slippers. Aaaah!

For me, when you start talking Tele tone--I think Don Rich and Buck Owens--that Bakersfield sound. I think the magic in the Tele is the plate on the bottom of that bridge pickup--and a Fender tweed Bassman or a blackface amp.

Bill

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:06 pm

I like the look of the maple body on that Bluesboy - nice and plain :thumbup: I'd been wondering when we'd finally get to see it :D

Boogie Bill wrote:For me, when you start talking Tele tone--I think Don Rich and Buck Owens--that Bakersfield sound. I think the magic in the Tele is the plate on the bottom of that bridge pickup--and a Fender tweed Bassman or a blackface amp.

Bill

+1

I think you can get pretty close to the tele sound with an ASAT Special, but the SLB doesn't have the snap/sting/twang that the traditional boxed bridge gives. '

We have a sunny day here. Cold, but sunny. If it didn't rain all night my washing would be dry!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:I like the look of the maple body on that Bluesboy - nice and plain :thumbup: I'd been wondering when we'd finally get to see it :D

can't be a bluesboy, about 10 years too early. a modified asat. very nice indeed.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks to all who responded - more specifically....

Hey Robbie - good to hear from ya!

Hi John - good point bout G.E's axe i forgot that one. Yeah, probably mostly comes down to the pickup design...

Thanks Darwin. I've never heard a Z-3 pickup up close and personal but would be keen to give one a go.... Pretty much agreed re the ASAT - covers A LOT of bases tho still a little lacking in the treble/twang realm.
Yeah, sounds like its p;retty full on Summer there - good to hear ya'll have gotten some liquid sunshine as well.

Hey Will - Thanks - Sad to hear bout your situ - that sucks. Angry's a good thing in my book -and can be very useful energy.
You're welcome - glad you dug em.

Louis - right on both accounts. Just taking the piss re the recent 'discussion' re metals you were involved in - it was getting pretty brutal!
Hope you realise it wasnt bout you...

Hey Dave - Thanks! Cool - yeah, think you'd dig em but you being used to the Superstrats you may want to get one with a wider neck. FWITW, the mid 90's neck profiles tend to be 'bigger' than the Leo-era ones.

Hey Bill - interesting gear stories - Thanks! You make a good point about the Sabre being a modernised version of the Tele...
Early this year I checked out 2 Sabres that were for sale locally and my thinking was as yours - these guitars really have that vibe and can get a good tele tone. I almost pulled the trigger on one but the guy wanted a pretty penny for it. Still kinda hankering for one but they're a bit more complicated control-wise for my tastes...that preamp is FULL ON. I believe they MM's haven't caught on as most folks think they're ugly. Wasn't all that long ago that a lot of folks thought the same for the telecaster. I recalled it being referred to as the Strat's older uglier sister.
Yeah,can relate to playing radically different axes but luckily I don't have to deal much with it as I stay on the (Leo) Fender side of the fence...

Hey Blarg - Thanks, yeah it took awhile. I thought so too and you're right - an ASAT can get really close but I'm really noticing the diff now owning both.

++1 on Owens & Rich

CHeck it -
[youtube]SA2N7XbaG4I[/youtube]

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:23 am

Bill has a good point about the music man, I like Albert Lee's sound better with his music man stuff better than when he was playing fender. I don't know about the Sabre II specifically, but I'll take his word for it.

I always thought Waylon got a lot of juice out of his crazy lookin' tele. Not a fantastic player, but solid and I am a big fan so, there you have it.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Actually, I got it wrong - was thinking of the Stingray - Fred's prototype confused me b/c it has a Stingray bridge.... still, think both models capture a certain essence of the telecaster...

+1 re Mr. Jennings' cool tele -
[youtube]I6ggad0gDx4[/youtube]

Cheers,
Kf

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey KF -
Just tried to look at your posted vid, but I got a message something like "embedding disabled by request."
In the meantime, can you post a pic of your GF? :=) - ed

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Hey KF -
Just tried to look at your posted vid, but I got a message something like "embedding disabled by request."
In the meantime, can you post a pic of your GF? :=) - ed

just click on the watch it on youtube tag.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Never claimed not to be a moron. Just never saw that before.... - ed

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:57 pm

HA - she'd say that sounds pervy but here ya go -

Cheers,
Kf

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Just stunning, KF. You made my evening.

No wonder you love it there "down under...." ;+) - ed

PS: Rock it!

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Ha-Ha... Thanks Ed. Glad to hear that & nicely stated...

For the record - She didn't call you a perv but she did call you a geek :) - I get similar treatment whenever she sees that I'm on this site - "Oh, you're being Geeky."

Cheers,
Kf

Straight Up!

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey Bill,

Was wondering if you could comment some more about your Sabre II. I'm reconsidering picking up that Stingray II I mentioned but would like know specifically how you use/ adjust the contols on your Sabre II. I read somewhere that the volume is s'pose to be kept half way b/c of the loudness of the preamp. DO you do this? Also, Is there a setting on your Sabre II where you can spilt one or both of the humbuckers to single coil mode? THe 4th position of the selector switch on the Stingray splits the rear humbucker into single coil config.
I also suss'd now that there a Vol, a Treble control, a Bass control and a Bright switch. When I was trying the guitar out I couldn't make heads or tails of what did what. I remember getting a good tele sound but I recall it being really thin compared to the humbucking sound tho I may have had the bass control all the way down. I know that Sabre's and Stingray's aren't the same guitar but any info on how you use yours would be appreciated - Thanks!

I'm open to hear from others MM owners too!

Cheers,
Kf

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Katefan,
I just saw your post and I thought I would give you an answer directly from the owners manual. Unless the guitar was modified, it has no coil splitting capabilities. The switches are for brightness and phase reversal. The knobs are master volume, treble and bass. The preamp is always on.
The Sting Ray has a bright switch, and a four position rotary knob. The upper position is the bridge pickup. the second is the neck pickup. The third is both pickups in phase and the fourth position is both pickups out of phase. The knobs are the same, master volume, treble and bass.
Hope this helps,
Fred

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Katefan wrote:Hey Bill,

Was wondering if you could comment some more about your Sabre II. I'm reconsidering picking up that Stingray II I mentioned but would like know specifically how you use/ adjust the contols on your Sabre II. I read somewhere that the volume is s'pose to be kept half way b/c of the loudness of the preamp. DO you do this? Also, Is there a setting on your Sabre II where you can spilt one or both of the humbuckers to single coil mode? THe 4th position of the selector switch on the Stingray splits the rear humbucker into single coil config.
I also suss'd now that there a Vol, a Treble control, a Bass control and a Bright switch. When I was trying the guitar out I couldn't make heads or tails of what did what. I remember getting a good tele sound but I recall it being really thin compared to the humbucking sound tho I may have had the bass control all the way down. I know that Sabre's and Stingray's aren't the same guitar but any info on how you use yours would be appreciated - Thanks!

I'm open to hear from others MM owners too!

Cheers,
Kf

i think both pups out of phase would explain why it sounded so thin on the tele sound compared to the humbucking sound.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:38 am

Cheers for that Fred - much appreciated. That explains why I was having trouble sussing things out.

Good point, Louis.

Cheers,
Kf