View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Leo Signature Series decal 
Site Admin

Post Leo Signature Series decal
[From a post on the G&LDP: by GPD on January 07, 2007]

The Leo Fender "Signature" decal on the headstock of G&L's appeared much earlier than
the formal "Signature Series" guitars. Use of some sort of "Leo Fender" or "By Leo Fender"
on a headstock started with the Broadcaster model of 1985. This infiltrated most other G&L
headstock decals from this time forward and continued through the remainder of the pre-BBE
era (up through November 1991) and a short while into the BBE era until Fender (FMIC)
pressured BBE to cease and desist...so to speak.

The actual signature series guitars with the Leo Fender decal on the body (not the headstock)
started in 88' though they were not even listed in the price sheet until 1990. The original that
spawned this idea (Dale Hyatt's idea) was a guitar physically signed by
Leo Fender with a paint pencil prior to the top coats being applied. The idea was that there
would be enough built for 1 each to each dealer but it never happened. After the first was built
Leo said, "No More!"...and there were no more. This 1, hand-signed guitar still belongs to
Mr. Hyatt.

Anyway, signature series guitars were massively popular and G&L made a sheete-load of
them during the years they existed. I should note that sheete-load is still a relatively small
number in volume considering G&L at its peak could muster no more than 40 instruments per
day back then.

BBE took over management in early November of 91' and they continued to make them but not
for long. I'm not certain exactly when BBE ceased making the signature series guitars but
sometime in 92' to mid-93-ish timeframe would be my guess. The Commemorative model had a
special body signature decal on it as well and when this model drew to a close in May of 1993
and that was it for the Leo Fender signature decals.

Gabe

Addendum: The Signature Series was officially ended on May 20, 1992 with a letter to the G&L
dealers. Here's a copy of that letter in our Gallery: 1992 "No More Signature Series" Letter --Craig

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Last edited by Craig on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

added addendum of the 1992 "No More Signature Series" letter link

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Leo Signature Series decal
Found some more of Gabes stuff I see. Good deal, We'll take all ya got.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:11 am

Hello. Great info. Thanks. Are there any technical differences between the Leo Signature series and the uSA? I have an opportunity to pick up a Signature guitar for what I think is a good price. Do you know what they would go for, near mint, vs the standard USA models?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:37 pm

pls1118 wrote:
Hello. Great info. Thanks. Are there any technical differences between the Leo Signature series and the uSA? I have an opportunity to pick up a Signature guitar for what I think is a good price. Do you know what they would go for, near mint, vs the standard USA models?

Wasn't aware that you had posted in 2 places. And Gabe Dellevigne is way more of an authority on G&L than I am so unfortunately I only rehashed similar information in your other post.

Here are a couple of price comparisons using the Vintage Guitar 2011 Price Guide. All concern models in excellent condition.
ModelPrice normal modelPrice Signature model
ASAT$700-$850$825-$1,000
S-500$750-$925$775-$959
Comanche$950-$1,075$1,000-$1,200

The comparison for the Comanche is between the Comanche IV available between 1990 and 1991 and the reintroduced post-1998 Comanche with premium finish and flame top; the other are for models of similar years/vintage.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you so very much. New to the forum and didn't realize I'd get such thoughtful and thorough answers this quickly. Great stuff. Again - thank you.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:15 am

So basically the only difference between the signature model with Leo's signature decal on the horn and the other same models of the era is just the appearance of the signature?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Ribsspare wrote:
So basically the only difference between the signature model with Leo's signature decal on the horn and the other same models of the era is just the appearance of the signature?

Correct. Otherwise, the same options for material, parts, fret board radius, etc. were available. The signature was just a little extra.

- Jos

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]