View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Wednesday, October 3, 2012 

Post Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Hi gang,

It was a busy evening yesterday in the Emerald City. Michelle Obama was in town for a fund raiser. As was Madonna to play the Key Arena. But the wife and I opted to see Joe Jackson and his Larger Band at The Moore Theatre. His 5 piece band had Sue Hadjopoulos on percussion and Adam Rodgers on guitar. I was reminded of some amazing gig I saw in Catania (Sicily) in '94 of Lost Tribe where Adam shared guitar duties with David Gilmore. One heck of a concert that was. And last night was one of the best performances of Joe I've ever seen. He recently released 'The Duke', an album with his interpretations of Ellington tunes which were performed last night with a sprinkling of older tunes mostly from the 'Night & Day' and 'Body & Soul' albums.

Lunch:
Petra - salad and a kabob.

G&L related
We're back at the theme of the ASAT Classic Alnico. A couple of weeks ago Darwin showed his Alnico Launch Edition in one of his LRs. Here another of the prototype, one of the first 2 ever built with G&L Alnico pups:
ImageImage

As Darwin stated before, these pickups are amazing and are another G&L improvement on the Tele-sound without icepick. This prototype has a beautifully double bound body to boot too:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Recently, new member RCEinMA showed off his beautiful triple-bound ASAT Classic and I have shown off my Commemoratives in one of my previous LRs. So instead of a question, I invite you to post your instruments with binding, G&L's or otherwise.
Q: Have any?

More-G&L related stuff, and still it is about cases in general …
One of the coolest little extras with this model was the case. I have never seen a G&L case with this brown mottled exterior (see entry #5 below). Beautiful case! So, here a kind of slide show of all the different cases I have:

1- F-100 Return Edition
ImageImage

2- Leo-era SC-series
ImageImage

3- G-200
ImageImage

4- Tolex light brown with yellow poodle
ImageImage

5- Tolex dark brown, black pluche, form-fit
ImageImage

6- Tolex silver, black poodle
ImageImage

7- Tolex black black pluche
ImageImage

8- Tolex black black pluche, form-fit
ImageImage

9- CCD with grey poodle, form-fit
ImageImage

10- Tweed orange pluche
ImageImage

11- Faux-tweed brown pluche
ImageImage

12- Thermo-plastic
ImageImage

13- Thermo-plastic, new style with large red logo
ImageImage

14- Thermo-plastic, with flight case locks.
ImageImage

Q: Do you a favorite case, either by appearance/brand/quality?

For the longest time in the Netherlands, one either sang rock 'n roll in English, or a style called 'levenslied' (which translates to song of life) with its inherent waltz tempo and schmaltzy lyrics. Then in the early '80's, it all of a sudden became popular to write great songs and use native lyrics. You knew you wouldn't stand a chance to have an international hit, like Golden Earring's 'Radar Love', Shocking Blue's 'Venus' (yes, that Banana Rama hit was first written and performed by a band form The Hague), or the George Baker Selection's 'Little Green Bag'. All songs that made it big State side. This band I've always liked best in that New Nederpop Wave: Het Goede Doel with a great song about the zeitgeist when east and west were still watching each other with distrust and neutron bombs were the talk of the day:
[youtube]vFo428N7xec[/youtube]

We're over the hump. 'Til the next time we say goodbye.

- Jos

Edit: Update picture links.

Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Wednesday, October 3, 2012
My favorite cases are the late 80's/early 90's with the G&L plate. The case that came with the original run BB's are nice looking but not up to the quality of the G&G. I remember Tim saying they couldn't get the ones they wanted and had to go with a TKL (#10) instead. I also like the original case for my Interceptor as it's cut to fit, and the original S-500 case with the center pocket. I only have one bound, in this case triple-bound ASAT, and although folks have seen these pics before I never get tired of posting them. The close-up is courtesy of Jay who at one time owned the guitar. Of course the "natural binding" on the Trinity is no slouch either.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 am

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for the case photos. I hadn't seen the round logo plastic cases, but that SC case and G-200 cases look familiar.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 am

Somewhat unexpected, and unwanted, I find myself home with a hell of a sore throat. My mom always taught me to go to school as long as you were able to move. But she most have overlooked the ramifications of spreading bugs. Unless she had the training of everyones immune system in mind :think:

My lunch hence needs to be updated to "sandwich with leberwurst (liver pate)".

jon - BB #1 (it is BB#1 isn't it?) will always be a beauty. BB #9, built for Tim himself, is part of my collection but he didn't splurge at all on that one. Just looks like the others with this 'small' exception: a decal not found on any other original BB:
Funnily enough, I do not have too many bound G&L's beyond the Commemoratives, the Alnico prototype, and the aforementioned single bound BB Contour #9: my 'plain' semi-hollow Bluesboy, ASAT Deluxe, ASAT Classic III (all single bound), and the infamous, tortoise double bound Z-2 I got from you.
ImageImageImage
You'll notice a Trinity is conspicuously absent in the list. The #24 built for Bob Page has a Clear red finish and NO body binding.

Brock - My pleasure. I did not make a distinction between the piping colors (e.g. gold for the Broadcasters and Commemoratives but usually white), nor difference in latches (the Commemorative cases have non-sliding latches as do the cases that came with 'Port&Chocolate' and today's Alnico prototype). There are some more examples in the Instrument Cases section of the Gallery. But I was surprised to find out that among my collection, I already had this many different cases. In checking out that section I learned that the thermoplastic case with flight case latches were used from circa '92-'95. I got that one with my hog BB which was built in 2005 so for sure somebody swapped out a case. But as a serious G&L collector, I'm not complaining. Not withstanding that I am still moving towards all my guitars in a tolex case (it saves just a tad in space), I'll keep 1 of every type of thermoplastic case.

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:18 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, that is BB#1. Though to be fair I usually don't like bound necks. To me they inhibit the feel of the fingerboard, though I have to say this one is beautifully done and I "overlook" this "flaw" when I play it. Tim very kindly sent me the decal some time back but I didn't put it on. One of the most interesting parts of the back story on this guitar is the quilted top, which had been sitting in Leo's office and was slated to be used as a test top that was then shelved after his death. Knowing how Leo disliked adding extra glued surfaces to his guitars, I'm surprised the top was still around, but damn glad it was. The Z-2 is always going to look classy. I think Tim did a great job with that one, and of course the story about the binding is "legendary."

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:23 pm

i don't care much for binding on guitars, the only 2 i have is a washburn wp-80 prototype (verified by the factory, no serial number), and a westone

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Sorry I haven't been around, still checking in. I dig Joe Jackson too. Haven't listen to him in a while... Or Level42 either. I know, not related, but they were both on MTv around the same time. I appreciate your guitar case investigation. That tortoise binding works...

Cheers,

Will

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:12 pm
Profile WWW

Jos, I've said it before, but you really do go to the best concerts! Hope your throat clears up before too long.

The ASAT 50 looks right at home in that tweed/brown case. I like the new, form-fitting cases, they fit very, very well. However, as with all cases there's barely any room for a strap in the pocket.

Love those original Blues Boys guys :thumbup:

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Will - It's OK to mention Level 42 since there seems to be a kind of '80s theme going on anyway. I like that band too not only due to Mark King's great bass work but it was also the last band Alan Murphy played in before his untimely dead. I knew him already from all his work with Kate Bush. And what a nice guitar! I think since the binding breaks up the sea foam green, it becomes even a better color for that type of body. Since T-style bodies, in contrast to e.g. S-style bodies, have true corners and true sides, those transitions always are a bit of a problem for certain color schemes and binding is frequently a great solution to ease the transition.

Jamie - Thanks for your well wishes. BTW, I can assure you the ASAT '50 looks at home out of its case too ;) I haven't had problems with my straps though as long as we are talking non-thermoplastic cases. I always use Levy MSS-3 straps and I basically 'fold' them in 3s (without causing creases of course) and they'll always fit and can be compressed. And the more I use the strap, the suppler the suede becomes and the easier it is to fold and stow. The compartments in the thermoplastic cases are usually too short and it is more of a problem there.

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile WWW

Jos, I posted earlier today and must not have hit the post button! Getting older isn't easy.

Sorry to hear about the bug and hope that you recover quickly. Todays LR is like a trip through a museum. All the cases and the guitars that came in them. I do like the alnico proto but the Z-2 is quite a find. It is simply stunning. Jonc's ASAT is also stellar. I was at AGB today and there were a couple that I wanted to take home, an ASAT Alnico Butterscotch and a custom from Equadorian (SP?) Mahogany. They have received several different models and they are a beautiful satin finish. I also noticed that the cases are different. Some came with the side slide latch and a G&L logo and the others with clasp latches and no G&L logo. All are G&C. I do have a Mahogany Bluesboy on order and expect it within 6 months. Keep those pictures coming. :happy0065: :happy0065: -- Darwin

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:54 pm

darwinohm wrote:
I do have a Mahogany Bluesboy on order and expect it within 6 months.

Different than the '05 hog Bluesboy they had over there recently?

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, this is a new Bluesboy in the Equadorian Mahogany. I saw the wood for the first time today and it is beautiful. -- Darwin

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/ ... =slideshow

Case closed! - ed (reminder to self, take new pictures!)

PS: Darwin, you will never keep up with the Joses, try as you might. We are all doomed to failure on this point.

PPS: Will, that BB moves me. Makes me want to learn to play lefty.

PPPS: Jos, that Z-2 that you got from jonc is something special. What's she like?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 pm

I only have one guitar with binding. It is an early to mid 60's Airline hollow body with a Bigsby trem. It looks good on the hollow body, but I have never been really sold on binding on a solid body guitar.

As for cases, I love the thermo plastic with the flight lock case that came with my Legacy. It just makes me feel like my guitar is better protected from small bumps.

The G-200 is awesome! I have always been looking for a chance just to try one. The short scale neck just seems like such a departure for Leo. So, far I've never been able to find one. I've had my eyes peeled in every music shop and pawn shop for the last 20 years... and nothing.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 pm

G200's pop up every now and again. There's one currently at Buffalo Brothers Guitars. The short scale mated to the Leo humbuckers is very sweet. I'm sure Jos can give you a tone report as the rear-loaded one he got is verrrry nice. Happy hunting!

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm

darwinohm wrote:
Yes, this is a new Bluesboy in the Equadorian Mahogany. I saw the wood for the first time today and it is beautiful. -- Darwin

Looking forward to see a picture of that Ecuadorian hog! I have not seen an announcement by G&L of using this wood similar to when they release the Monkey Pod models.

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm
Profile WWW

Ed - Mighty fine BB ed, so leave the case open .... My Z-2 has this kind of weird combination that came a bit of a surprise, it is louder than any of my other ASATs but not hiss, hum, or other ancillary sounds. Of course then it sinks in you are talking about Z-coil pups and it all makes sense. The guitar definitely has a character of its own, a little mellower but with a lot of clarity to the notes. (This is where it always sucks to use words instead of sounds and not have any equipment to change that).

nut brown ale - Like Jon says, there is one at Buffalo Brothers and once in a while one pops up on eBay. IMO you have a better chance to find one while perusing this forum or eBay than to find one in a store.

Jon - Wait 'til Friday for that. ;)

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:22 pm
Profile WWW

G'day Jos, I got to ask, what is your go to guitar?
Joe Jackson started a trend for pointy shoes with his album art for look sharp. Haha
cheers mate
Anthony

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:31 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:
G'day Jos, I got to ask, what is your go to guitar?

Anthony, my go to guitar is still my Butterscotch Blonde '99 ASAT Classic guitar, the first ASAT I ever bought.

Joe still has a kind of 'angry young man' attitude hanging over him ;)

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

Hey gang,

I noticed that while being so focussed on ASAT models I totally overlooked that I had another type of G&L case in my possession: the one that comes with the Phyllis Model 'Blondie'. So I edited the original post and snug it in there. Also shows an alternative solution to the strap problem blargfromouterspace alluded to.

- Jos

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Looking forward to see a picture of that Ecuadorian hog! I have not seen an announcement by G&L of using this wood similar to when they release the Monkey Pod models.

Jos, I have been told that there was enough wood for about 30 guitars and I believe they are reserved by dealers. I can't imagine an announcement on it but who knows. Hopefully, I will see a Bluesboy. -- Darwin

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03 am
Site Admin

darwinohm wrote:
Quote:

Jos, I have been told that there was enough wood for about 30 guitars and I believe they are reserved by dealers. I can't imagine an announcement on it but who knows. Hopefully, I will see a Bluesboy. -- Darwin

I checked with Steve about this and here is his reply:

Quote:
Hi Craig,

The Equatorial Mahogany was brought to us by one of our wood suppliers. Similar grain pattern and structure as other types of mahogany,
but lighter in color and consistently much lighter weight.

This wood is being offered (at the moment) to only 2 US retail dealers and 1 export distributor. As with the Monkey Pod project, dealers are
selecting the models they feel are most appropriate for this body wood and their particular market. Some will be done is a natural "oil" finish
and others with standard gloss finishes (transparent colors).

I'll try and get you a couple of photos in the next few days .... at the moment I don't have any

Let me know if you need more info

Thanks

Steve

I'll post the photos in a separate topic/sub-forum when I get them.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]