LR June 4th, 2014

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 am

Lets keep this going.

I had bbq chicken and cole slaw for lunch. I love the fresh cole slaw made with an oil and vinegar dressing, not the creamy or sweet dressing you normally find it in. So, make my own.

How do you like your cole slaw??

OK, today G&L announced their new series, done in classic muscle car colours.

http://www.glguitars.com/news/Muscle-Ca ... ection.asp

Have a look, what do you think?

I think its great that G&L is trying new series all the time, have liked a bunch of them, savannah, black ice, etc but not sure on these ones yet, have to think about it some more.

Alf

Re: LR June 4th, 2014

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 am

Alf,

Cole slaw is so good!! I prefer mine served with a yellow Asat on the side.

y2kc

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am

I'm on the fence when it comes to releasing standard instruments as a new line just because they have a different paint job.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 am

BlushResponse wrote:I'm on the fence when it comes to releasing standard instruments as a new line just because they have a different paint job.

+1 Reminds me of PRS releasing the Corvette 427 and Z06 models around '07 which were Custom 22s with a particular paint job. OK, they also had a special inlay in the fingerboard to boost.

- Jos

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:30 am

Yawnfest. I'd rather see limited runs G&L instruments with exotic woods.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:32 am

My lunch was absolutely ridiculous: a simple ham sandwich hastily eaten in my car.... because I could not wait to pick up my third G&L guitar: a basically unused US Asat Classic Butterscotch Blonde for a little bit more than half the price of a new one, no scratches, just a few fingerprints and... I'm in love... this thing smokes!

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:43 am

I usually have coleslaw with fish & chips-- accompanied of course by a local draft brew, so I usually like the slaw to be on the tangy side. With BBQ it's gotta be beans or potato salad... man, now I'm hungry for BBQ!

Lunch for me today is a 16-oz black cherry mocha and a chocolate muffin. Not the most nutritious, but it's my favorite "meal" while writing (and I've got a lot of that to do today).

The new muscle car collection. I'm not real sure what I think of them just yet. My initial reaction is that G&L have much cooler colors than these, which seem to be closer to Fender colors; like Jaguar vs. GM. There are a few colors there that I would never go for myself... but the photo of the LB-100 is pretty cool. And I do like the blue. I would probably want to continue the theme with hot rodded pickups/wiring or some such.

Back to academia with me :)

~Monahan

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks Alf, I had a quick Ham sandwich also. I have been hauling shingles this morning for a future project.

I think these SS models are kind of cool and someone will buy them. Probably not me as I like the exotic woods and transparent colors. It is refreshing that they are trying something without having to dump a ton into R&D. -- Darwin

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Maybe it was just the stock photo in the announcement that didn't do the finishes justice (?) But I really like this one ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of them~

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Monahan wrote:I would probably want to continue the theme with hot rodded pickups/wiring or some such.
~Monahan

I do believe once they have the series established that they would offer some popular "Hot Rod" modifications from the factory. That said, they already do offer most popular mods as factory standard.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Alf - we add a lot of different stuff to our slaw. Fine slices of broccoli stalks (the stuff that usually gets tossed is actually pretty good in slaw), summer squash, zucchini, shaved brussels sprouts. Ditto on the dressing. Usually a lighter oil, lemon juice, rise vinegar type thing.

I like the colors - bold, vivid - they scream "I'm here!". If it's Detroit muscle, what's under the hood? Some special options would be nice as well as a special graphic, maybe racing stripes somewhere, a special flexing bicep inlay on the 12 fret - something. I like the idea and the colors as well as doing the promo tie-in. It's good marketing and they will sell some, rest assured. Take a few photos next to the cars with some other candy. :evilgrin:

edit: a couple other comments. I will say I am more apt to buy something with transparent finish or exotic wood. However, we have to keep in mind the G&L is in the business of selling guitars and since not everyone has the same tastes (thankfully), this might bring some new buyers to G&L, increasing popularity and maybe even boosting re-sale value a bit for the collectors in the group (I am not one). FWIW.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:05 pm

fianoman wrote: Take a few photos next to the cars with some other candy. :evilgrin:

maybe with these straps made from old NOS liners and upholstery-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Couch-Guitar-St ... 1c4125d4b0

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:55 pm

I like the sweeter coleslaw like from KFC , but I'm not a big coleslaw person .... lunch today was 1/2 price wing wednessday

I think they will sell , cool colors , they probably should be just standard finish options , the yellow ASAT Special sure looks sweet .... But don't just make GM colors , Plum Crazy purple , Go-man-go orange , lime green , grabber Blue just to name a few

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi Alf,

Thanks for chiming in with a lunch report. It'll be fish and chips for lunch today up at the local pub to farewell some work mates who have just been made redundant.

The cultural context of the SS series is completely lost on me, so I'm unable to make the critical association between the colours and a certain era of US muscle car and motor racing. I think I'd like those guitars more than I do if I understood why the colours are so iconic. Matching headstocks have never really done it for me either, but I'm sure the SS series will find a receptive market in the US. Maybe not so much overseas. Racing stripes would be cool though.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Howdy Alf thanks for a LR today. I love cole slaw, all kinds. While I do lean to the drier versions but creamy kind be found occasionally. My wife makes a killer Asian version with peanut butter in it. I put cole slaw on my BBQ sandwich, do you?

While I have always wanted a yellow ASAT with matching headstock I'm not sure paint is really a new series. But, remember the 30th Anniversary series, just a variety of pearl white frost paint, but that also was related to a precipice year. Maybe add a Bomber girl or and ASAT plane picture on it and make it a muscle race car version. :idea: Thanks for getting the thinking cap rolling.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:42 pm

I like un-cole slaw cole slaw. If it tastes like cole slaw I'm out. I like the creamy sauce with crunch but only a mild suggestion of cabbage, which I usually find bitter.

The muscle car theme isn't for me. Yes G&L is very USA but I prefer the finishes of European sports cars if it is going to be a car theme.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Hey Alf,
Thanks , can you please post your Coleslaw recipe?
Thanks mate,
Anthony

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 am

thanks for the replies.

I like my slaw done this way,

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Cole ... ults_p1i17

If I have other stuff in the fridge, I may add. That way it has a hint of sweetness but not a sweet slaw.

I like it on my BBQ Pulled Pork, if its not too sweet.

I have never been a sweet/savoury guy, I'm not for pork chops and apple sauce, turkey and cranberry, etc, each is great, but not together.

I agree with the comments, would be great if the Muscle SS guitars had a hot rod feature or two beyond the paint.

They are cool though! Love that blue that was posted.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:08 am

I also had some coleslaw for lunch today, in a turkey sandwich. It was good, and one of the first solid foods I've eaten in days. Hooray! Best slaw I ever ate was made by a German friends father - very finely sliced cabbage, salt, white pepper and vinegar. Does that a slaw make? I dunno, but it was damn good and much healthier (which isn't usually something I give points for) than the creamy, sweet, mayo heavy ones.

SS Collection - I'll echo the "why not just add it to the list of colours?" sentiment. To be totally honest, I don't care for any of them - they are a bit too brash for my taste, dare I say too 'American' :scared0016: . The matching headstocks and black guard/pickups combo doesn't do it for me either - this is JMO.

What has me baffled is that G&L seem so thin on ideas for special guitar collections that different finishes are the best thing they can come up with!?!? And car finishes is hardly a new or novel thing seeing as that's what George and Leo did in the '50s. Last years Savannah collection was basically the same as the Korina collection but with a different finish and different wood. It'd be nice to see them try something different. I don't expect them to reinvent the wheel, but come on!

What they should do, for a start, is reissue the paddle-headstock SC-1!!!!.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:19 am

it would be nice to see a 30 year anniversary Broadcaster from G&L , 2015 will be here soon

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:46 pm

A quick stab at a racing stripe concept. I like it!

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Painting guitars with car colors.......downright revolutionary! I wonder how much the consultants charged for this collection, or if there is anyone actually consulting?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:58 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:What they should do, for a start, is reissue the paddle-headstock SC-1!!!!.

Yes!!!! Although I have to say that the current construction techniques - as nice as they are - just wouldn't be the same as Leo-era builds.

I would jump all over a G-200 re-issue, since I will probably never get my hands on an original.

Ken

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:39 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:...very finely sliced cabbage, salt, white pepper and vinegar. Does that a slaw make?

Instant sauerkraut?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:55 am

Cool photos Tim. George is a man after my own heart. I always look at cars and wonder what the color would look like on a guitar. And not just car colors but fingernail polish! They have some great colors. My wife gets miffed when she says "What do you think of this color?". My reply - "that would make a great guitar finish!" :D

Great colors, vivid, brash, "American" - sorry Blarg, I couldn't resist! :mrgreen: Seems that EVH had a pretty brash guitar that served him well. :whome:

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Tis a fine broth of a plaid, Laddy! :happy0007:

Hey, if you can't have fun with guitars Tim, what can you have fun with? (Well, I guess I can think of a couple other things). :rolleyes:

I like it - not for me of course but for a Scot. I think if you play with a kilt, it would be even more exciting!

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 am

fianoman wrote:
I like the colors - bold, vivid - they scream "I'm here!". It's good marketing and they will sell some, rest assured. Take a few photos next to the cars with some other candy. :evilgrin:

Funny you should mention that: G&L and The Wellborn Musclecar Museum is sponsoring the "Color My World" display, Mopars painted in Plum Crazy, Curious Yellow and Panther Pink, but let's not forget AMC's "Big Bad" colors, Carousel Red from Pontiac, the "Grabber" colors from Ford and more. This colorful display will feature nearly all makes, and the rarest of the rare. And the complete line of Detroit Muscle Series will be displayed next to each of them. http://mcacn.com/features.htm

Right on Tim! The original F colors were inspired- heck lifted from the coolest cars that George and Leo liked in their day. This has happened before, and it will happen again but now with iconic muscle cars that were new when Rock 'n' Roll guitar was emerging.

To be frank, Alder is a tremendous tone wood, yet doesn't have a the strongest grain for transparent and clear finishes for which G&L is known. If this special color series reaches new customers that weren't aware of G&L before and puts some Alderwood in your guitar rack, then mission accomplished!