Significance of 12 stamp

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:26 am

I got an Asat classic as a gift and I know nothing about it. It was bought used. All I know is it's the perfect guitar and I love it. There is a 12 stamped on to the bridge and bridge pickup. Does this mean 2012? The serial # is clf22503

Re: Significance of 12 stamp

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:03 am

Andor wrote:I got an Asat classic as a gift and I know nothing about it. It was bought used. All I know is it's the perfect guitar and I love it. There is a 12 stamped on to the bridge and bridge pickup. Does this mean 2012? The serial # is clf22503

Please post photos of the pickups. Are they the stock MFD pickups? Regarding dating by serial number, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance. You will find that this serial number is pre-2011.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Welcome, Andor. Both of my ASAT Classics have the 12 stamp on the bridge pickup and the bridge plate. It definitely doesn't indicate the year, as mine are from 1990 and 1996. My 1990 ASAT Classic is one of the first ones built, so those stamps have been around from the very beginning. I'd be interested to learn why they're there, if anybody knows.

The serial numbers were only used to identify the guitars in the sales log, not to indicate a production date. Your guitar's serial number was put on the headstock when the finish was applied, but the neck could have hung around the factory for a while before it was used. You might be able to get an idea of dates for similar serial numbers by checking the Registry on this website.

Ken

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:06 pm

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Andor wrote:Image

I think it might be a supplier code. I'ii try and get Dave's attention in the next day or so, to find out.

My 2001 AC Bluesboy SH has the same 12 stamp on the bridge pickup top fiber and the bridge.
But my 2012 Special Collection ASAT Classic S and 2013 ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico Launch Edition both only have the 12 stamp on the bridge.
By 2010 or earlier, G&L was cutting their own fibers for the pickups at the factory.

Stay tuned.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:23 am

Craig wrote:
Andor wrote:Image

I think it might be a supplier code. I'ii try and get Dave's attention in the next day or so, to find out.

My 2001 AC Bluesboy SH has the same 12 stamp on the bridge pickup top fiber and the bridge.
But my 2012 Special Collection ASAT Classic S and 2013 ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico Launch Edition both only have the 12 stamp on the bridge.
By 2010 or earlier, G&L was cutting their own fibers for the pickups at the factory.

Stay tuned.

I heard back from Dave:

H
i Craig,

It’s just a manufacturing thing. This is our die stamping tool number.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:37 pm

cool. kinda like the "33" on the rolling rock bottle!

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:27 pm

drjho7 wrote:cool. kinda like the "33" on the rolling rock bottle!
If you ever are in Toronto Canada, look for Steamwhistle Pilsner. Every bottle has "3FG" on it, which stands for the three founders, who were fired when the brewery they worked at was bought out and shuttered. 3 Fired Guys.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:49 am

hah! great trivia, Tbone. next time i'm in toronto, 3FG for sure! :lol:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Welcome to the board Andor.

My 1990 'Proto' Asat Classic Bluesboy has the 12 stamp on the bridge but not on the pickup bobbin.

Cheers,

KF

Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:28 am

KF,

Thats the one.

y2kc

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Cheers Casey - Straight up.

Kf