G&L Tribute Fallout - Locking Tuners

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello,

I'd like to add locking tuners to my G&L Tribute Fallout, but I'm not really sure which tuner style will fit.

Does anyone happen to know which brands or styles will drop in without drilling?

Thanks!

Re: G&L Tribute Fallout - Locking Tuners

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:01 pm

nametag wrote:Hello,

I'd like to add locking tuners to my G&L Tribute Fallout, but I'm not really sure which tuner style will fit.

Does anyone happen to know which brands or styles will drop in without drilling?

Thanks!

See this post: viewtopic.php?p=75835#p75835.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Hey Craig, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately these don't appear to be drop-ins for Tribute series guitars. I've never drilled locator pins before, so I don't really know the effort that goes into it, but would prefer not to do any permanent alterations if I can avoid it.

I did find this product, in which someone in the comments mentioned that they used them in a Tribute Fallout:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/tuning-machine-heads-for-guitars/sperzel-6-in-line-locking-tuners#productDetail

Also, this post mentions using Hipshot locking tuners:
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13574

I have no experience with either set of tuners, and not sure if either set will drop in.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:44 pm

I believe it has been confirmed that the Sperzel's are not drop-ins on the tribute.

From the pictures it looks like those hipshots were installed with the UMP which would probably indicate that they were not direct fit drop-ins either.

That being said, I have never done a UMP install but it looks pretty straightforward.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:22 am

I had to have the UMP plates modified since G&L has a larger distance between posts than Fender. The tuners are awesome!

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:02 pm

See this post for a drop in source for locking tuners for Tribute guitar models:
Questtion: locking tuners for G&L Tribute S-500

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:12 pm

nametag wrote:Hello,

Thanks!

I have Kiesels on two of my Tribute guitars and they were definitely drop-in replacements. Others have had the same experience.

David

Fri May 01, 2020 7:12 am

Another option is the Hipshot retrofit kit. They use a pretty unobtrusive plate behind the headstock so that no screws, and thus no drilling are required. I put them on a Squier Tele I have as there is no drop in replacement for the Squier fitment. Worked fine, but not cheap.

Fri May 01, 2020 6:27 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:Another option is the Hipshot retrofit kit. They use a pretty unobtrusive plate behind the headstock so that no screws, and thus no drilling are required. I put them on a Squier Tele I have as there is no drop in replacement for the Squier fitment. Worked fine, but not cheap.

If you mean the universal mounting plate (UMP) by Hipshot, it won't fit on G&L guitars without modifying it. I tried it on a couple, and even asked Hipshot, who confirmed that it won't fit G&Ls. The spacing of the holes is off.

David

Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 am

If you mean the universal mounting plate (UMP) by Hipshot, it won't fit on G&L guitars without modifying it. I tried it on a couple, and even asked Hipshot, who confirmed that it won't fit G&Ls. The spacing of the holes is off.

Yes, That is what I meant. I didn't realize they wouldn't work for G&L. Sorry for the bad info.