The "Daddy's 22nd Anniversary" guitars

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi folks,

It has been quite a while since I did a guitar tout for all y'all. But I believe it is time ...

Did you know that between the last ASAT Classic Commemorative Edition released around May 1993, when the settlement with FMIC kicked in and limited the total number of these guitars to 350 instead of the intended 1,000, and the mention of a “ASAT Classic with full body binding on top and bottom, Rosewood or Maple fingerboard with Birdseye maple #2 neck” listed in 5 different see-thru finishes on the October 1, 1994 price list, another limited run of guitars saw the light of day as a dealer issued Special Edition? The year 1994 was the 22nd year of existence of Daddy's Junky Music, with several stores in the New England area. To commemorate the anniversary, founder and owner Fred Bramante commissioned 22 guitars. These guitars look exactly as spec'ed in the aforementioned price list: a double-bound body with a Bird's Eye maple #2 neck with maple fingerboard. A least that's what I think because all 3 I have seen have these specifications.
ImageImage

Here some more for the body:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

The date stamps are not optimally readable. I make out dates from August 1994 which jibes with an invoice from Daddy's Junky Music included with one of the 3 I now exist and is dated October 1994.
ImageImage

But it could be 1993, an assessment solely based on the use of Japanese source 250kΩ potentiometers in the wiring harness which were typically used in the 1992-1993 time frame, just after BBE Sound had taken over operations at G&L. But it should be noted I have a guitar from 1997 where one of the pots is still of the Japanese sourced variety.
ImageImage
ImageImage
And if it is 1993, would these bodies be left-overs intended for the Commemorative Edition but never completed as such? Tell me how you read them.

The #2 neck of mine only has a mild Bird's Eye maple figure to it.
ImageImage
ImageImage

But the kicker is the serial number. Instead of the usual stamped 'G' formatted numbers, the chrome plate reads "DADDY'S 22nd ANNIVERSARY" above the G&L logo and, similar to the format on the Commemorative guitars and basses, "7 of 22" underneath.

The reason the Japanese pots were dropped for CTS potentiometers was many problems with QA. But on this surprisingly light guitar, they work just fine and make it roar.

K, not much else to say. Now you know they exist. With webmaster Craig's help the model was added to the Registry and I added #7, #8, and #9. If you know of any others, and especially whether they have a rosewood board or any other finishes but Cherryburst, I would love to know. Because after all, except for the serial number, that would make these "Daddy's 22nd Anniversary" guitars exactly like the description of the bound ASAT Classic listed in the aforementioned October 1,1994 price list.

- Jos

Re: The "Daddy's 22nd Anniversary" guitars

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am

22 is a weird anniversary, but any excuse to commission a guitar from G&L isn’t a bad one :D

Funny how they seem to have used the exact same date stamp style for so long - no wonder it’s a bit blurry more than a decade in.

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Hey Jos,

Congrats! Saw that one and reminded me of the few guitars I bought from Daddy's in the 90's. One was a G&L.

Not sure where the relationship was between G&L beyond a dealer but these were a cool little series, even with the odd dating. 25th anniversary would have been better IMHO, but best to strike when the Commemorative models were hot. Glad this one is in the hands of a "Family member" :thumbup:

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:42 am

Daddy's used to be my favorite music store back in the day. Had one in Norwalk, CT. near where I lived. I was told it was the original store but I cannot confirm that.

I swear I saw one of these for sale in very good condition just the other day on either Ebay or Reverb but now can't locate it. Maybe that is where you got the idea to post on this guitar? I was pretty sure it would be snatched up quickly because the asking price was reasonable for someone that had a connection to Daddy's from the past. We will see if a forum member posts a HNGD about it...

Tom