G&L Factory Neck Replacement

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:29 am

Hello,

I have heard several times that G&L will make a replacement neck, and even make them 3-bolt.

My question: Will they do a bullet truss rod nut on the 3-bolt necks, or do they limit the order to a modern style rod?

I'm really hoping they offer the bullet. It'd be a shame to order a 3-bolt neck, but have it stick out as a replacement by not having the bullet-adjust truss rod. It will already have a slab board and other features that will keep it from being passed off as an original '80s neck, so I hope that isn't a concern of theirs. The bullet is such a great look (and works so darned well). I wish they were still used.

Thanks.
Last edited by Its_Him_Again on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: G&L Factory Neck Replacement

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:33 am

Its_Him_Again wrote:Hello,

I have heard several times that G&L will make a replacement neck, and even make them 3-bolt.

My question: Will they do a bullet truss rod nut on the 3-bolt necks, or do they limit the order to a modern style rod?

I'm really hoping they offer the bullet. It'd be a shame to order a 3-bolt neck, but have it stick out as a replacement by not having it.

Thanks.

I forwarded your post to Memo Romero, G&L Service Manager.

Stay tuned.

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:03 pm

ah this will be interesting to know! good Q!

Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:26 pm

umma_gumma wrote:ah this will be interesting to know! good Q!

Or, shall we say, it would be.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:50 pm

I heard back from Memo:

Hi Craig,
We will definitely make 3 bolt replacement necks but it will have the current (modern) 2 way truss rod, all the best.

Best Regards,
Memo Romero

I asked him who to contact and what the cost would be.

Hi Craig,
They would contact me, you can give them my email and I will require their name, return shipping address, day time phone number and the serial number of the instruments. They will have to send back the whole bass for us to get accurate measurements of the neck heel/pocket. Cost for the replacement neck is $500.00, that price includes the fretboard wood of their choice (rosewood or maple), clear satin finish , bone nut, medium jumbo frets, new tuners, installation and setup of instrument, all the best.

Best Regards,
Memo Romero
SERVICE MANAGER
G&L INSTRUMENTS/ BBE SOUND
2548 E. FENDER AVE
STE. E
FULLERTON CA. 92831
714-897-6766 x156

Memo's email is repairs@glguitars.com .

Hope this helps.

Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:37 am

Wow that's great info, have been wondering about this for years.

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:24 pm

Submersible wrote:Wow that's great info, have been wondering about this for years.

Yes, it is "great info," but most is not new info. By now, it is well known to us out here in G&L Land.

The inquiry was about the bullet truss rod. That is the new info. The answer is expected...but really a shame, since one of the main reasons to order a new neck from them is to replace messed up ones, which will largely be old, from the 3-bolt era. The replacements will not look correct.

The build-up videos that I've seen the company post, which feature a new CNC neck, hand modified to fit an old three-bolt body, are unclear as to whether or not the bullet is used. They could be modern style, or they could be the "buried bullet" style. Hard to see on a tiny computer screen.

Looks like it's hand building, if I want some semblance of the right look for my older instruments.

Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:54 pm

Have you contacted Gabe Dellevigne at his ESI business?
I know in the past he has built authentic 3-bolt necks. While his website still says Coming Soon for Custom Necks,
you might find out if and when they would be available.

Just a thought.