How are pickup covers attached to soapbar MFD pickups?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:38 pm

On my SB-2 the pickup is forced into the cover from the two huge springs under the pickup. When I ordered these soapbar pickups for another guitar, I was sent little springs to go on the height adjustment screws, so do guitars like the ASAT Special use these instead of the big springs under the pickup? What holds the pickup inside the cover?

Re: How are pickup covers attached to soapbar MFD pickups?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 pm

If no one knows, can someone loosen the pickup on their ASAT Special and see if there are big springs under there or what?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:23 pm

There were springs under the neck MFD on my ACC, but there was also some foam rubber that supported the pickup. Keep in mind, the neck MFD on an ACC can't be adjusted higher than the pickguard, while the neck MFD on an ASAT Special can go as high as you want to go.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm

eurotrashed wrote:If no one knows, can someone loosen the pickup on their ASAT Special and see if there are big springs under there or what?

Here's the picture of the MFD pickup shown on the G&L On-Line store:

The two springs are for under the pickup.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed photo link

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:25 pm

But when you order them, you get three springs per pickup, they look basically like the cone shaped springs you have on a Strat

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 am

eurotrashed wrote:But when you order them, you get three springs per pickup, they look basically like the cone shaped springs you have on a Strat

That's right. One spring for each mounting screw.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am

That makes no sense though. There is nothing to support the pickup into the cover then. And if you have springs under the pickup like Craig said, then there is no point on having springs on each screw. I think I am just going to take the springs off and run foam under the pickups.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:02 pm

eurotrashed wrote:That makes no sense though. There is nothing to support the pickup into the cover then. And if you have springs under the pickup like Craig said, then there is no point on having springs on each screw. I think I am just going to take the springs off and run foam under the pickups.

I've sent an email to a contact at the factory to find out which springs should be included with the replacement ASAT Special MFD pickup and how they are supposed to be
mounted.

Stay tuned.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:25 pm

Craig wrote:
eurotrashed wrote:That makes no sense though. There is nothing to support the pickup into the cover then. And if you have springs under the pickup like Craig said, then there is no point on having springs on each screw. I think I am just going to take the springs off and run foam under the pickups.

I've sent an email to a contact at the factory to find out which springs should be included with the replacement ASAT Special MFD pickup and how they are supposed to be
mounted.

Stay tuned.

After some discussion with co-webmaster Dean, we have come to the conclusion that you were given the wrong springs for your pickup. You were given springs used on S-500 MFD pickups or MFD humbucker pickups instead of the two springs which mount under the Soarbar sized MFD pickup. You should return to where you bought the pickup from (a G&L Dealer? or G&L Online Store?) and ask for the correct springs.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Craig -

While you and Dean have clearly done some great detective work here, can't you just have someone send our (European) enthusiast friend a couple of springs without facilitating additional unnecessary distraction from his wholesome G&L enjoyment? Just wondering... - Ed

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Euro,

Here's what the springs that go with your pickup should look like.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Wow, I typed a post then lost it. I think my cable connection just got fritzy as I lost an email I just tried to send through Outlook. Anyway...

Thanks for looking into this Craig. I think Ed's got a fine idea, just send eurotrashed the for-sure right springs and he'll be good to go.

So eurotrashed, please send me an email to dmclaren at bbesound dot com with where to send them, and if you need any screws or ancillary bits just let me know and I'll toss 'em in.

Thanks, guys.

Dave

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks for investigating this and thanks for the offer.

Anyway, I am from Pennsylvania (not Europe) and got the pickups from G&L directly. It makes a lot more sense now that these were the wrong springs, I simply put the foam back under the pickups (its a Fender Jaguar) to fix this issue though.