Joining the Club

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:14 am

Hi All, new board member here.

Been saving and shopping for a new electric for a while now. Been mainly an acoustic player for 25 years, but have been playing more electric with a new group of guys. Arfter comparing and playing everything from Fenders to LPs to PRS and Carvins, I finally decided on a G&L. My uncle plays in a blues band, and has sworn by his G&Ls for years...

Last week I pulled the trigger, and I'm the proud new owner of a gorgeous ASAT Z3 semi-hollow body.

Been tinkering with the neck, intonation, and nut for the last week, and its all dialed in and ready to go for practice tonight. Can't wait to crank this thing up!

Cheers!
Mark

Re: Joining the Club

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:18 am

what a beautiful guitar and a hollow body to boot !!

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks FF!

It was actually a tough decision. I had it narrowed down to an ASAT Classic S and the Z3, then the guy pulls out this ASAT Special made of Empress wood. Tough, tough, decisions. The special had some unique tone to it (similar to pine I would say), and the Classic just played beautifully -- really poppy and responsive. Z3 hands down won on tone options though, as well as fit and finish (and I've always wanted an F-hole semi-hollow). Had a little string buzz and had some intonation issues, but a little more relief, some work on the nut, liberal application of nut sauce, and some tweaks to the bridge saddles and it is just rippin.

I've actually only had a chance to play it at home through a little Fender Mustang amp, but I'll be firing up my Hot Rod Deluxe tonight at our practice space (AKA - my buddy's basement ;)).

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:05 am

that's why it's so hard to just have one .... just remember , we all started at one ...lol

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:09 am

congrats on your asat Z-3! it's a beauty, for sure.
one thing i have noticed about G&L's is they often sound better/different/funky with dialing back on the volume and tone controls, as opposed to my other guitars which usually sound better with everything at 10.
requires some experimentation, but for me has been a pleasant surprise. hope you enjoy!

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:29 am

drjho7 wrote:congrats on your asat Z-3! it's a beauty, for sure.
one thing i have noticed about G&L's is they often sound better/different/funky with dialing back on the volume and tone controls, as opposed to my other guitars which usually sound better with everything at 10.

I definitely already noticed that! I thought it was the Z-coils in particular that were behind it. You can stay on the neck or bridge pickup and just roll things back and forth a little bit to change the tone significantly. Even the pick attack you use seems to really impact things, in a good way!

FF, the wife has made me agree to a 10-year guitar moratorium (but she always says this). She's always hollerin about constantly tripping over guitar cases. ;)

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:51 am

nice Asat Z3!
as an AZ3 (solid body, I really envy you for the f...) owner, I'll bet she's a keeper.
congratulations.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:49 pm

That is a classy looking axe. I'll bet it ends up with a brother/sister in a few months though. ;)

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 pm

That is a very handsome guitar. What a fine way to begin your G&L odyssey... And welcome !

Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Beautiful ASAT! Welcome to the club!