G&L tribute Legacy Identification Help

Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:17 pm

Hey legends,
I have a Tribute Legacy HSS that I purchased in 2008, I am hoping someone can assist with the colour and makeup of this guitar.
I am also confused with the Serial Number: I thought I read somewhere that it is YYMMxxxx, but if thats the case then mine was made in July 2004. I thought it would make more sense to be MMYY because then it was only 1 year before i purchased it and not 4 years.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Re: G&L tribute Legacy Identification Help

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am

philbertfoster wrote:Hey legends,
I have a Tribute Legacy HSS that I purchased in 2008, I am hoping someone can assist with the colour and makeup of this guitar.
I am also confused with the Serial Number: I thought I read somewhere that it is YYMMxxxx, but if thats the case then mine was made in July 2004. I thought it would make more sense to be MMYY because then it was only 1 year before i purchased it and not 4 years.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

For Serial Number formats, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum:
Serial number significance.

Here is the section on Tribute Series serial number formats:
The G&L Tribute models have a different serial numbering scheme. All the Tribute Models have the build year and month coded in the serial number.

Tribute serial number formats are:

YYMXXXX or YMMXXXX (e.g., 0123456 - Made In Japan Tribute Models only)
YYMMXXXX (e.g., 01234567 - Made In Korea Tribute Models only)
YYMMXXXXX (e.g., 012345678 - Made In Indonesia Tribute Models only)
LYYMMXXXX (e.g., L01234567 - Made In China Tribute Models only)
LYYMMXXXXX (e.g., L012345678 - Made In China Tribute Models only)

Serial number location is on the back of the headstock.

Here is a post about the Tribute Series instruments which were introduced in 2003:
What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?

Your Tribute Legacy HB was built in July of 2004. This was a new model which came out in 2004. It was made in Korea.

Here is the G&L web page for this model's specifications, courtesy of the Internet Archives:
https://web.archive.org/web/20041028223512/http://www.glguitars.com/Tribute/instruments/Legacy_HB/index.asp

You will see that your guitar has a Swamp Ash body with the Natural Gloss finish.

Hope this helps.

Please do add it to our G&L Registry. Register it as a Tribute Legacy HB (aka HSS) model.

Re: G&L tribute Legacy Identification Help

Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:01 pm

Perfect!! Thank you so much.
I’ll add it to the registry also