Re: New G&L Facebook page - CLF RESEARCH CO.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm

CLF-69 styling development template used at CLF Research in 1969. This template can be used with a pin router to cut the body perimeter (edge), battery pocket for 6 AA batteries, and a I believe a pocket for a string bender system.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Leo’s 1969 vision becomes clearer: CLF-69 prototype pickguard template on CLF-69 prototype body template.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:26 pm

The CLF-69 control plate had room for the preamp under the sword-like leading edge.
3-way toggle pickup selector, volume, treble and jack followed on the plate.
The special phase switch on the CLF-67/68 prototypes had been eliminated.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Around ‘82 there was more interest in the company serving the aftermarket, including replacement necks for Fender guitars. The early CLF form of headstock would be used, roughly like the F-100 in style.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm

That ‘82 template got me thinking it would be cool to build a neck and put Klusons on it. Just needed to feel that older period vibe on this.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm

CLF-69 concept drawing from November 1969.

phpBB [video]

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Removing a couple of old Torit dust collectors from the Woodshop. I may repurpose them later but today we’re doing some upgrades and these guys gotta go somewhere....maybe Unit J for now.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:22 pm

In the Woodshop, duct surgery begins. Watching this is much more fun for me than heading to the NAMM show booth.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:19 pm

50 years in the making: the first finished prototype of the Espada, the evolution of the CLF-67/68 and CLF-69 prototypes. Series/parallel red toggle and white 3-way preamp control off/on/on with high freq boost. There’s talk of this going to the NAMM show tomorrow.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:53 pm

:shock: Where is the emoji for a jaw dropping? That is stunning! So many questions... Will this be a new model available for sale? How do those pickups sound? (similar to a Comanche?) How does it sound with the preamp? (great, I bet!). Will there be neck/fretboard options?

Of all my G&Lguitars , my '85 F100 is the only one with a preamp, and it sounds incredible! And I love the G&L basses with preamps... so why wouldn't this guitar sound great? I am very hopeful for this one!

Next request: please use this model as the basis for the first G&L 12-string!! :D

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:37 pm

The second finished Espada prototype is dressed as it might have been in 1972. Seemed like an appropriate vibe to check out and ... uh ... I’m in love. I’ll see you in funkytown.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:50 pm

I want the sunburst one... BAD.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:I want the sunburst one... BAD.

I'm sure that the Espada will be the next CLF Research instrument. After NAMM, check with your local G&L Dealer and ask when they will be available.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:01 pm

This is me last night. Doheny V12. Bridge pickup in series mode. Everything wide open. Marshall cranked. Do you prefer massive, chunky, or articulate?
I’ll take all 3, thank you. My brother Johnny is some kind of wizard.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Our two finished Espada prototypes went to the NAMM show yesterday. They were a little late, but they were sleeping for 50 years
so it was a challenge to wake them up and acclimate them to 2019. Kinda like Austin Powers, and these Espadas are still swingin’ hard as 1969.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:32 pm

April, 2018: this is when Johnny and I decided which version of the CLF-69 drawings to bring to life 50 years later in 2019.
We operated from a 1:1 drawing which was a little rough because at that point it was still a styling exercise not engineering prints.
Those are my measurement notes written on a scan of the original 1969 drawing.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:37 am

January 17, 2019: Johnny texted me this pic of the first chrome Espada control plate. Wow...this was really happening! I started to think we might be able to bring an Espada to NAMM.
That would be a pretty cool surprise. And it happened!

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:58 pm

Sunday NAMM is chill so I came to hang out for a bit and see my Espada babies. Trips me out how many people are coming up to me and
know about what I’m doing with CLF Research. You guys are the best!

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 am

September 17, 2018: first laser test cutout of early CLFR guitar headstock shape. The black material is pickup bobbin fiber which we often use to test cut small things.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:04 pm

This morning Johnny and I were searching for the little brass bushings to use with the vintage CLF battery plate for Espada.
Eventually we’ll have Machinist Mike make some more but we found a bin full of them out in Unit J.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:06 pm

While I was digging for those bushings, Johnny was collecting some old raw battery plates

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm

I’m gonna spend a little time in the lounge with the Espada test mule, just to chill out and think. Like the Doheny mules, the body is rough, not sanded at all. Function first.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:44 pm

Back to the grind.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Now I’m gonna thump on Tony’s ‘81 L-2000 for a while then call it a night. I just can’t resist messing around in the new lounge.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:29 pm

January 3, 2018: we milled a test Espada body but I forgot about the battery pocket. Damn. Fixed it later but I couldn’t wait to try it, so...taped that thing on and plugged it in.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:30 pm

My brother Johnny wastes no time. We’re gonna need CLF battery plates made, and I just found him checking the old stock
we have against this April 14, 1980 drawing by “GWF” who is George Fullerton and approved by “F” who is Leo.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Steve stacked the 15” GK cab and it sounds much better in here now. I like that big bottom!

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:59 am

Gettin’ that NAMM Petri dish filth off.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:03 pm

I don’t know much about drums, but I know cool when I see it. We just picked up this ‘60s Ludwig setup for Leo’s Lounge.
Next it’ll get all rehabbed and whatnot then it’s party time. These things look so damn cool I can hardly stand it.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Thanks to my friend Patrick Krook for letting me score his 1987 Skyhawk in Sunburst on maple body, ebony board, matching headstock,
roller nut and CLF fine tuner vibrato. It’s just gorgeous!

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:16 pm

...and up goes the awesome ‘87 Skyhawk in the lounge performance venue.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:00 pm

January 15, 2019: developing the Espada logo. I had decided on the font and it was already looking cool.
I knew it needed more refinement but I was really getting excited! Johnny and I can’t believe how awesome it is
to be completing a ”lost” Leo Fender design from 50 years ago.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm

Johnny Gomez is blowing my mind with one of the proto Espadas while I sit here on my giant sofa in Leo’s Lounge. Feeling pretty good right now.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 pm

I just stumbled on George Fullerton’s 1997 baritone guitar body template. I’ll bring it downstairs and we’ll have a better look in a few minutes.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 pm

Our friend Chris Brady of Aquarian Drumheads is totally hooking us up so the ’60s Ludwig kit delivers the classic sounds we crave.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:05 pm

Here’s George’s 1997 baritone guitar body template. I think in one of his books he included a pic of the guitar.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:45 pm

Tomorrow we’ll set the CLFR time machine dial from 1969 to the year 1975. Hang loose until then. Later!

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:51 pm

This recently hit the tubes...
(I see it has also been posted in the NAMM thread)

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Elwood on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:55 pm

Elwood wrote:This just hit the tubes...

phpBB [video]

This is the 3rd time this was posted today!

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 pm

Craig wrote:This is the 3rd time this was posted today!

LOL, how do you delete a post then? :shh:

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Elwood wrote:
Craig wrote:This is the 3rd time this was posted today!

LOL, how do you delete a post then? :shh:

See FAQ.

However, no real need to delete it; we have had multiple posting of videos before and it is likely not the last time. ;)

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:04 pm

Grooving on from 1969 to 1975: Leo’s technical concepts from the CLF-67/68 and CLF-69 heavily influenced the CLF-75G1 prototype,
notably two split-coil pickups with full-time active preamp. The CLF-75G1 prototype was made with the idea that it could be the first CLFR
product produced for Music Man, which already had been producing amplifiers nearby. The split-coil pickups use very large pole pieces and
wide bobbins, while the large 4-way switch adds an out-of-phase position. George Fullerton’s dramatic styling leans heavily on circular forms,
and was ultimately quite different from the Stingray guitar which went into production the following year in 1976.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Spent some time with the Sunburst Espada proto and I just get these great vibes. I swear it’s like it was supposed to happen, and happen at this time.
I’ve had a really great week, and thanks for geeking out with me in CLF land!

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 am

This Danish Pete and The Captain from Andertons Music Co. absolutely tripping in Leo’s lab. Get on the Andertons YouTube channel and watch them, me, Johnny and Dave Brown from G&L Custom Shop. The Anderton’s crew is still kinda new with G&L so I want to see you in the comments showing some love. I had massive fun hanging with these guys and the level of geekery would have broke Leo’s oscilloscope if it could pick up the vibes.

The video was previously posted on this thread and also on the 2019 NAMM post.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:16 pm

January 3, 2019: test fitting Espada pickguard and control plate shapes cut by laser from pickup fiber. No, there shouldn’t be a slot for a blade style pickup selector.
I forgot to explain to engineering that Leo’s 1969 drawing shows two holes in the control plate which were intended to mount the preamp. Engineering thought they must
be for a selector so that’s what I got. Right. About those holes....

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:59 am

Johnny has the first little batch of Espada control plates cut. The circled hole needs opening up a tiny bit and the mounting holes need to be countersunk.
We’ll take care of that stuff then drop them off with Vince to get chromed.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm

February 1951: Leo’s dad Monte Fender outside the old the Pomona Street building.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Did you get my fax?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Patrick’s ‘87 Skyhawk hanging out with the ‘18 Skyhawk that sorta lives in the lounge.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:55 pm

Johnny and I had G&L Custom Shop build this Skyhawk for our “Japanese brother” Mako Yamano of 山野楽器 / yamano music.
Mako-san visited us here in the shop during NAMM and we surprised him with this awesome Skyhawk.
Check out the logo ghosted in: it’s subtle and I dig that. Anyway, I’m told it’s time for this to be packed up with a shipment to Japan,
but I’ll take some better pics first.