NGD: What ASAT (S-3) did I just buy?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 pm

On a whim I just purchased the ASAT below. However, I can't seem to find any info on this model. What is the model? Did these come with a standard neck profile and radius? What does the toggle switch do? I should have asked some questions before I pulled the trigger, but for what I paid I figured it was worth the risk. If it helps the serial number is CLF29821. Thanks for the insight, and I appreciate your time.

Last edited by Cactus Jack on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: NGD: What ASAT did I just buy?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:On a whim I just purchased the ASAT below. However, I can't seem to find any info on this model. What is the model? Did these come with a standard neck profile and radius? What does the toggle switch do? I should have asked some questions before I pulled the trigger, but for what I paid I figured it was worth the risk. If it helps the serial number is CLF29821. Thanks for the insight, and I appreciate your time.

That's an ASAT S-3. Here's some info.

http://www.ggjaguar.com/s-3.htm

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated. My one concern about the guitar was if the middle pickup would be in the way. The link mentioned it as a potential reason the model was discontinued. The guitar arrives Tuesday so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated. My one concern about the guitar was if the middle pickup would be in the way. The link mentioned it as a potential reason the model was discontinued. The guitar arrives Tuesday so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

lol my concern wouldn't be the ergonomics, but the proportions. I'm very vain. I think the 2 pickup configuration is aesthetically superior and that's the only reason I need XD

You've definitely got a rare and interesting axe coming. I imagine that MFD soapbar will sound monstrous in the middle position.

Set the bass side lower than you normally would on these btw. They're LOUD, like a lot gainier than a P90. Setting the height to strat height makes for muddy bass, especially on the neck pup.

If you've got experience with ASAT special pickups, then disregard.

Re: NGD: What ASAT (S-3) did I just buy?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Any idea what the toggle switch does? I haven't found anything talking about it and the pics of the guitars don't have it. Maybe it was something the owner installed? My guess is it gives a bridge and neck combo or all three pickups. Another mystery to be solved in a few days.

Thanks for the info on the pickup height. I don't have experience with them so your input is extremely helpful.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Any idea what the toggle switch does? I haven't found anything talking about it and the pics of the guitars don't have it. Maybe it was something the owner installed? My guess is it gives a bridge and neck combo or all three pickups. Another mystery to be solved in a few days.

Thanks for the info on the pickup height. I don't have experience with them so your input is extremely helpful.

That would be my guess - similar to the switch found on S-500s and Comanches that combines the neck and bridge pickup together in positions 1 and 5 (and giving you all 3 pickups in positions 2 and 4). Once you have it you could always check with G&L and see if it was a factory option or if it was an owner mod.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 am

Hi Cactus Jack,

Nice score! :happy0065:

More infö on this model can be found here. Indeed, the switch likely is a so-called expander switch to get the bridge+neck and all-3 pickups together combinations. It is not standard o the original ASAT S-3, and must have been added aftermarket. Both the 2006 ASAT 'Trinity' and 2011 Midlothian School of Music run of ASAT S-3s didn't have this switch but rather a push-pull pot to achieve the same. So this makes this part of the original post-1998 run of the ASAT S-3. The S/N places this guitar in about 2003-2004, which, if true, would make this a very late example since to the best of my knowledge, production ceased in about 2001. Of course, we should also be open to idea this guitar started out as an "ordinary" ASAT Special and middle pickup and switch were added by a previous owner. After you receive it, you can lift the pickguard to see if this is the case. Likely the cavity for the middle pickup would lack finish in that case.

- Jos

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 am

Maybe it's a bit of a partscaster? Excited to tear it down and figure out what the heck I actually bought. Was definitely an impulse buy and should have asked questions up front...oh well :). Here are a few more pics:

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:32 am

This guitar is driving me crazy! I went back and read about them on the GGJaguar's site referenced above. I missed it the first time, but he has a hyperlink to a discontinued model, and boom there's a picture of the guitar with the mini toggle switch. If mine is legit, it may have been one of the last ones made like the one on his site. Funny thing is he doesn't mention it in the control descriptions but it's clearly in the pic.

I didn't want to copy his pictures, so here's the link:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/asats-3.htm

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Wowsa! That is lovely! Congratulations.
Cheers, Dan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi CJ,

Pretty guitar. I also have one.

One potential issue you mentioned is the middle pup getting in the way. I stole an idea from Will Ray: Lower the middle pup. The pup is out of the way, and you have a way to play with lower volume, without changing the way you play.

edg

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Hi CJ,

Pretty guitar. I also have one.

One potential issue you mentioned is the middle pup getting in the way. I stole an idea from Will Ray: Lower the middle pup. The pup is out of the way, and you have a way to play with lower volume, without changing the way you play.

edg

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that.

Out of curiosity does your guitar have the toggle switch?

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 am

The stock (1998-2001) ASAT S-3 model did not come with a pickup expander switch.
See: List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA) and this link to the internet archive of G&L's webpage (6/21/2001) for the ASAT S-3.
There were some Special Build version which did come with the expander function, see: List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars.

Here is a listing of the ASAT S-3's we have registered in our G&L Registry: ASAT S-3.
There are a couple which indicate that the expander function was added aftermarket.

I have emailed one of my contacts at G&L to get build details on your S-3. I hope to hear from Dave some time this week.

Hope this helps.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:10 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hi Cactus Jack,

The S/N places this guitar in about 2003-2004, which, if true, would make this a very late example since to the best of my knowledge, production ceased in about 2001. Of course, we should also be open to idea this guitar started out as an "ordinary" ASAT Special and middle pickup and switch were added by a previous owner.

- Jos

After a bit more thinking I doubt I scored an S-3. S/Ns don't lie so this is either an owner modified ASAT Special, or a replacement neck on an S-3. I'd bet money that the previous owner modified the guitar. If that's the case I sure hope they did it well. I'd be shocked if they used a RWRP pup for the middle...this could be a noisy hack job. Wouldn't be the first time my impulsivity got the best of me :) . Some day I'll get it under control...

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 pm

That certainly is a beautiful thing! Give us a run-down, how does it play and sound??
Anything unique about the tones or p'up combinations?

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 am

Mystery solved. I spoke with the seller and this is an owner modified guitar. He added the middle pickup and toggle switch and wired it up similar to an S500. Bad on me for not asking more questions up front. The guitar is scheduled to arrive today, will be interesting to peek under the hood and see what I’m working with.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Mystery solved. I spoke with the seller and this is an owner modified guitar. He added the middle pickup and toggle switch and wired it up similar to an S500. Bad on me for not asking more questions up front. The guitar is scheduled to arrive today, will be interesting to peek under the hood and see what I’m working with.

:thumbup:

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:33 am

Cactus Jack wrote: .... If that's the case I sure hope they did it well. I'd be shocked if they used a RWRP pup for the middle...this could be a noisy hack job.

The G&L online store is (still) offering a RW/RP MFD Jumbo, interestingly enough labeled as a S-3 bridge pickup. But even then, it is not outside the realm of possibilities the middle is a RW/RP pup. Let us know.

- Jos

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote: .... If that's the case I sure hope they did it well. I'd be shocked if they used a RWRP pup for the middle...this could be a noisy hack job.

The G&L online store is (still) offering a RW/RP MFD Jumbo, interestingly enough labeled as a S-3 bridge pickup. But even then, it is not outside the realm of possibilities the middle is a RW/RP pup. Let us know.

- Jos

In 2014 I pointed out this error to G&L: it should have been labeled as the "SC-2 bridge pickup".
At that time, I had suggested this change for the Pickup - Jumbo MFD single coil (other) entry:
"Other G&L Jumbo MFD single coil pickups: ASAT Classic Custom (Neck Position), SC-2 (RW/RP bridge position).
Available in Black, White and VCrème. For ASAT Special and SC-2 (neck position) models, please see Jumbo MFD Single Coil (STANDARD).
"

Oh, well ... :roll:

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Craig wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

In 2014 I pointed out this error to G&L: it should have been labeled as the "SC-2 bridge pickup".
At that time, I had suggested this change for the Pickup - Jumbo MFD single coil (other) entry:
"Other G&L Jumbo MFD single coil pickups: ASAT Classic Custom (Neck Position), SC-2 (RW/RP bridge position).
Available in Black, White and VCrème. For ASAT Special and SC-2 (neck position) models, please see Jumbo MFD Single Coil (STANDARD).
"

Oh, well ... :roll:

Indeed. :confused0077:

If it is truly a bridge pickup, and I have no reason to doubt it, the pole spacing should be slightly different to compensate for the angled position with respect to the strings. So it is an important datum and said pup will ill fit the middle and/or neck position.

- Jos