Re: Quest for Keepers

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:49 pm

I like the color and flame of these!

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Starting to think through option order builds. I'm pretty sure I have the neck nailed. Classic C, reverse headstock, color matched to body, white bound ebony fretboard with white block inlays. I also know I want a a saddle lock bridge if I so for an S shaped body.

The big question for me is do I go Legacy family or ASAT family? If Legacy I'll probably go HSS, and if ASAT probably another S. What I'd really like to try is HSH with S-500 wiring and parallel/series/tap toggle switches similar to the V12. If possible that would probably push me into the Custom Shop so I'd probably pass. I also haven't decided on colors, which is really hard to do since G&L doesn't offer a design. I'm leaning towards a flame top...possibly Cherry Burst. If I go flame top I'd want RMC to show off as much flame as possible.

If anyone has suggestions or options I should consider please let me know.

My suggestion is to take a look at the current specifications and.options we have here: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=15894.
You will find a lot of factory photos, just click on the links to sEe them. I add new photos almost every day except when I am out of town.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I like the color and flame of these!

Good choice, Old School Tobacco Sunburst is my favorite G&L burst finish, :thumbup:

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Starting to think through option order builds. I'm pretty sure I have the neck nailed. Classic C, reverse headstock, color matched to body, white bound ebony fretboard with white block inlays. I also know I want a a saddle lock bridge if I so for an S shaped body.

The big question for me is do I go Legacy family or ASAT family? If Legacy I'll probably go HSS, and if ASAT probably another S. What I'd really like to try is HSH with S-500 wiring and parallel/series/tap toggle switches similar to the V12. If possible that would probably push me into the Custom Shop so I'd probably pass. I also haven't decided on colors, which is really hard to do since G&L doesn't offer a design. I'm leaning towards a flame top...possibly Cherry Burst. If I go flame top I'd want RMC to show off as much flame as possible.

Look like you have found an answer for the finish. I agree OSTB is one of G&L's burst finishes. Look great especially with flame and quilted tops!

Been enjoying reading your quest and have notice you seem to bond with S types more. You tried several ASATs before finding a keeper. So it seems me that you would more likely be happy with the Legacy family. I'm a big fan of the saddle lock so I'm in step with you there. I would consider top biding on the body, especially if you are binding the neck. Not sure if they are offering roasted maple necks on made to order. If they do, I would definitely give that consideration.

Cheers, Dan

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:26 am

Out of the 3 G&Ls I've bought/returned lately 2 have been those types of burst finishes and they are truly stunning. My favorite for sure, followed by white on white (or pearloid). I've haven't really seen G&L nail it but I love that washed out antique white look that *ender does.
*caveat* I haven't seen a ton of w/w G&Ls and internet pix are internet pix

I do *not* like bound necks though. each to their own.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:26 am

ChrisPbass wrote:Out of the 3 G&Ls I've bought/returned lately 2 have been those types of burst finishes and they are truly stunning. My favorite for sure, followed by white on white (or pearloid). I've haven't really seen G&L nail it but I love that washed out antique white look that *ender does.
*caveat* I haven't seen a ton of w/w G&Ls and internet pix are internet pix

I do *not* like bound necks though. each to their own.

For photos of the finishes see this post: viewtopic.php?p=106970#p106970

Look at Blonde for the one you mentioned not seeing.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:22 am

yes that...
someone find me a S-500 with a thinn(er) neck and you are my friend for life.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Craig - Do you have any pictures of the Carmel Ebony fretboard option?

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:02 pm

After thinking on this a bit I think I'm leaning towards a Saddle Lock Legacy HSS with Flame Maple Old School Tobacco finish. I may see if I can get MFDs rather than Alnicos so maybe a HSS S-500. Now I'm revisiting the fretboard. I really love ebony, but I think rosewood may be a better match. Either way I want it bound...I'm thinking white. Will probably get body binding too. Haven't thought through the pickguard or pickup covers yet. Possibly tortoise shell, possibly cream...don't know. Keep the ideas coming, I'm no designer so I welcome any & all ideas.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Not sure how the bridge humbucker would match up with the MFD single coils; especially with the neck-bridge connect expander switch on the S-500. Probably an email to G&L would give some insight.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Craig - Do you have any pictures of the Carmel Ebony fretboard option?

Yes, see: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=12401 and scrolled down to the Caramel Ebony pics.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Craig - What are these called? Does G&L still offer this...I don't see it in either option order or custom shop. Very cool none the less.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:07 pm

One more question Craig. From your perspective what is more consistent G&L's flame or quilt tops? Looking though the pics it appears the flame tops are a bit hit and miss, is that just me or something you see as well?

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Craig - What are these called? Does G&L still offer this...I don't see it in either option order or custom shop. Very cool none the less.

Double bound bodies and they are standard options, either in white or black binding. Look in the Body Options Other post.
BTW, a triple bound instrument would be one with a double bound body and neck binding.
You can even mix black and white binding such as this: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15733.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:One more question Craig. From your perspective what is more consistent G&L's flame or quilt tops? Looking though the pics it appears the flame tops are a bit hit and miss, is that just me or something you see as well?

IMO, I don’t think it is hit or miss with the flame maple G&L uses. They are less dynamic of an effect than quilted maple, so some colors don’t photograph as well as other colors.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm

So here’s what I got.

Saddlelock old school tobacco sunburst flame top Legacy HSS. White bound body. Tortoise shell pickguard. Black pickup covers with JB in the bridge. Reverse color matched headstock. White bound ebony board with pearl block inlays. Classic C profile with 12” radius.

Anything I’m missing? Possibly white plastics to tie in the binding a bit. I plan to call a few dealers tomorrow for pricing and time frame. Let me know if there’s anything else I should consider.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Go for something with a swimming pool route - Z-3 has it. Then you can get a pick-guard cut to suit whatever pickup config you want.

With those neck specs I imagine I'd be looking at a Doheny :thumbup:

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:03 am

Cactus Jack wrote:So here’s what I got.

Saddlelock old school tobacco sunburst flame top Legacy HSS. White bound body. Tortoise shell pickguard. Black pickup covers with JB in the bridge. Reverse color matched headstock. White bound ebony board with pearl block inlays. Classic C profile with 12” radius.

Anything I’m missing? Possibly white plastics to tie in the binding a bit. I plan to call a few dealers tomorrow for pricing and time frame. Let me know if there’s anything else I should consider.

Alder body?
When applied to an Alder body, Premium Flame or Quilt top may be ordered in any transparent Standard finish.

When applied to a Swamp Ash, Okoume, or Basswood body, Premium Flame or Quilt top may be ordered in any transparent Standard finish or Premier finish.

Top or double bound body? If you do top binding you might consider top natural wood binding because you will retain the body contour.

A reminder that we are not allowed to post actual prices of new instruments.

Looking forward to seeing your final build guitar. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks for the input guys!

Craig - Excellent point regarding the binding. I definitely want to retain the contour so natural binding it is. Any concern of the natural binding clashing with a white bound neck? Also, good question regarding wood. I do think I'll go alder as all my other guitars are swamp ash. I doubt I'd hear a difference but might be nice to change things up.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:32 am

Just got off the phone with Eric with Upfront Guitars. Awesome guy and extremely knowledgeable. We talked through design and have made a few changes. We're getting rid of the neck binding and the ebony board. We're going with indian rosewood with a light tint satin finish. We also discussed going RMC since I'm paying for the flame I might as well see it. Swapping out white plastics for black.

A few variables we're still discussing. First body wood. It's down to either alder or okume. Alder will provide classic strat tones, while okume would be unique and sound similar to mahogany. My ear isn't good enough to hear significant difference between tone woods so I'm leaning towards alder. Second, neck inlays. He thinks the pearl block inlays may be a bit to dominating with the current color palette. He thinks the flame will pop like crazy, and dot inlays may be a better option. I am going reverse color matched headstock so the block inlays may be a bit over the top. I think they look cool, but it is difficult to really grasp how the guitar will come together.

Let me know what you guys think.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:05 pm

It's all a matter of personal taste, so no one's idea is really right or wrong. But since you asked, here is my opinion that would be right for me. In any case, regardless of the color, my biggest problem is talent deficit disorder. I tend to prefer understated looks. OSTSB is a classically elegant finish. The figured wood top only makes it more so. I don't think plastic binding works on Strat bodied guitars as you have to give up the body contours, which in my opinion doesn't look right on a Strat body. The wood binding would look nice if they do that on a burst. Maple or rosewood fretboard, with light MOP or other dots, or no dots at all. White or cream knobs. Personally I don't like reverse headstocks. Looks broken to me, or maybe like a Jackson. I like the matching headstock though. Alder or Okume body so that wood figuring doesn't clash with the top. In any case, get what you like and ask yourself, "Will I like it in five years."

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Just got off the phone with Eric with Upfront Guitars. Awesome guy and extremely knowledgeable. We talked through design and have made a few changes. We're getting rid of the neck binding and the ebony board. We're going with indian rosewood with a light tint satin finish. We also discussed going RMC since I'm paying for the flame I might as well see it. Swapping out white plastics for black.

A few variables we're still discussing. First body wood. It's down to either alder or okume. Alder will provide classic strat tones, while okume would be unique and sound similar to mahogany. My ear isn't good enough to hear significant difference between tone woods so I'm leaning towards alder. Second, neck inlays. He thinks the pearl block inlays may be a bit to dominating with the current color palette. He thinks the flame will pop like crazy, and dot inlays may be a better option. I am going reverse color matched headstock so the block inlays may be a bit over the top. I think they look cool, but it is difficult to really grasp how the guitar will come together.

Let me know what you guys think.

My $0.02 - On every point I'd say that Eric's suggestions are spot on, the guys at UpFront have good taste and its always best (and cheaper) to exercise restraint with the options. I'd go for RMC and lose the block inlays. White or black pickups would work IMO, white with the reverse head-stock would be reminiscent of a flashy Charvel which I like. Either/either on body wood really.

Cant wait to see it :thumbup:

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Well, it's down to pickguard vs RMC. What say you?

Here are a few examples:

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Normally, I'm a sans pickguard guy... But for some reason, I really like it with the pickguard in this case. But like others have said, pick which you like best... what will make you happy. IT may sound weird but for me, I think it is the very straight line the the controls fall in that doesn't fit the shape in my mind. If the controls were laid out on more of a curve, I'd probably be no pickguard... Weird, I know.

Cheers, Dan

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 pm

WitSok wrote:Normally, I'm a sans pickguard guy... But for some reason, I really like it with the pickguard in this case. But like others have said, pick which you like best... what will make you happy. IT may sound weird but for me, I think it is the very straight line the the controls fall in that doesn't fit the shape in my mind. If the controls were laid out on more of a curve, I'd probably be no pickguard... Weird, I know.

Cheers, Dan

It's funny you mention the controls. That's definitely one aspect that throws me off a bit. The other, and this is stupid, is I love the expander switch. I just think it's cool and love it on my other guitars and much prefer it over a push/pull. I am seeing if they can add it to the RMC, but it's possibly been removed from the "off menu" offerings.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Changing gears for a moment. Does anyone know what this guitar is all about? I've never seen a HH ASAT Classic before...was this a special run or limited edition guitar?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:21 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Changing gears for a moment. Does anyone know what this guitar is all about? I've never seen a HH ASAT Classic before...was this a special run or limited edition guitar?

This may be one the few ASAT Deluxe prototypes (with a shortened ASAT Classic bridge with radiused corners).
Reference: http://web.archive.org/web/20160810021813/http://www.glguitars.com/prototypes/guitars/index.asp

Here are two of them:

CLF062947
Serial Number: CLF062947

Date Completed: October 17, 2011

Description: Gloss Black over Western Sugar Pine, shortened ASAT Classic bridge with radiused corners, #1 Western Sugar Pine neck with Rosewood fingerboard and Light Tint Gloss finish, 1-ply Black pickguard. G&L; pickups.

Special Features: We liked a few guitars we’d made with Western Sugar Pine bodies, so we thought we’d try using Western Sugar Pine for both the body and neck. This guitar also had R&D; value in that we used a shortened ASAT Classic bridge with radiused corners, reminiscent of a modded Telecaster Jeff Beck has, as well as twin G&L; exposed coil humbuckers. This guitar also has a Light Tint Gloss neck finish, for which the blend was not yet finalized at the time.
[/quote]

ASAT Deluxe
CLF064148
Serial Number: CLF064148

Date Completed: March 5, 2012

Description: Galaxy Black Metallic finish over Western Sugar Pine body, Double Faux Binding in Flame Red, shortened ASAT Classic bridge with radiused corners, Red "Zig Zag" pickguard, #4 Hard Rock Maple neck with Ebony fingerboard and Light Tint Satin finish. G&L Alnico humbucking pickups by Paul Gagon.

Special Features: Brad Whitford of Aerosmith asked us to build him an ASAT Deluxe with a clear vision of what he wanted. He described a Western Sugar Pine-bodied black guitar with red binding, something like a Batmobile color scheme. Since there wasn’t any good solid red binding available, we achieved the effect by spraying a red coat along the side of the body then taping off bands as we would actual binding before spraying a Gloss Black color coat. While we were tinkering with the idea, we tried another Western Sugar Pine body with the red double faux binding but finished in a Black metallic finish that has colored undertones to the flakes. The finish reminded us of the night sky viewed from pitch black darkness of the desert, so we came up with a name: Galaxy Black. No, we haven’t decided whether we’ll offer Galaxy Black, but the double faux binding concept led to further development and is now standard on the ASAT Bass Tom Hamilton signature model. Bet you can guess Tom saw Brad’s ASAT. Paul Chandler had sent us a variety of cool pickguard samples, including a very cool red "zig zag" one which we decided to use on this guitar. Rounding out the R&D value of this guitar was application of a Light Tint Satin neck finish which debuted in the January 2013 price list.

Since the body on the photo you posted is Swamp Ash not Western Sugar Pine and the pickups are Seymour Duncans, I would guess that this was a special build (or run). If you have the serial number of that guitar let me know and I will try to get some details on it.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:00 am

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Image

Interesting, that is a new model or special build I was not aware of. I sent your photos to a couple of contacts at G&L to
get the story on this.

Stay tuned.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Interesting, that is a new model or special build I was not aware of. I sent your photos to a couple of contacts at G&L to
get the story on this.

Well it is only about 8 months newer than the Galaxy Black prototype. 30 October 2012 vs 5 March 2012. I'm the 1/2 box bridge is a string through. Just me, but I still prefer the saddle-lock on the regular ASAT HH. Maybe they can bring back the string through saddle-lock....

Cheers,
Dan

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 am

Here is Spencer's reply:

Hi Craig,

I’m not sure exactly how many of these were made. My guess would be in the 8-10 range. I remember some being sugar pine as well. But I think there were a few ash and alder as well. If I’m remembering correctly we did one for Jerry Cantrell and made some more while we were at it. Don’t remember if this was a special request for Jerry or if we were making these and happened to send him one.

Here’s how this shows up in our system:

ASATD-BLONDE-RW CLF065974 10/30/12 0 FUL kenny 325922 5

│ASAT DELUXE BLONDE RW
│1PLY BLK-1/4 SAWN-LTSN
│BECK STYLE DUAL BLK HB PUSH/PUL COIL

Sold through Performance Music Center in Massachusetts in 2015, so it sat in stock here for a while.

Thanks,
Spencer

Also, regarding the 1/2 AC bridge, there were some Custom Shop guitars made for 2019 NAMM which have this bridge.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:54 pm

I did a little more digging. It's a Jeff Beck build. Appears to be 1/1 guitar.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I did a little more digging. It's a Jeff Beck build. Appears to be 1/1 guitar.

When this guitar was listed on Reverb by Peter's guitar emporium, (4 months back) it was sold as a "one off" sample prototype. That's probably just a regurgitation of info that was given to the seller when they received the guitar. By itself t isn't really authoritative, but it does lend some credibility to the notion that this was a one off.

Aside: The expired Reverb ad that I linked describes this guitar as a "Tribute" to Jeff Beck's guitar, but anyone familiar with the G&L brand might interpret "Tribute" there as indicating the guitar was made in Indonesia - but not so! The guitar was very clearly made in Fullerton, as several pics attest.

I like the way that guitar looks, bet it sounds great.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:44 am

All I know (s0 far) about G&L 'TeleGib' guitars.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:51 am

DanDoulogos wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I did a little more digging. It's a Jeff Beck build. Appears to be 1/1 guitar.

When this guitar was listed on Reverb by Peter's guitar emporium, (4 months back) it was sold as a "one off" sample prototype. That's probably just a regurgitation of info that was given to the seller when they received the guitar. By itself t isn't really authoritative, but it does lend some credibility to the notion that this was a one off.

Aside: The expired Reverb ad that I linked describes this guitar as a "Tribute" to Jeff Beck's guitar, but anyone familiar with the G&L brand might interpret "Tribute" there as indicating the guitar was made in Indonesia - but not so! The guitar was very clearly made in Fullerton, as several pics attest.

I like the way that guitar looks, bet it sounds great.

Thanks to Dan for posting the link to the Reverb listing, as I was able to see why the Custom Build Sheet listed it as a prototype ASAT Classic Deluxe.

Notice the word "Sample" at the top of the Build Sheet, that is how they usually signify a prototype instrument.
Also notice that this guitar has ASAT Classic logo decal on the headstock. The other 3 prototypes (the two I listed previously plus Jos' CLF59705) have an ASAT logo decal
and the listings of these say the model is an ASAT Deluxe. There are two others which went to Brad Whitford of Aerosmith (Gloss Black with faux Red binding on Sugar Pine body-serial number unknown) and Jerry Cantrell (specs and serial number are unknown). So, there are 2-4 more which are unknown at this time.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Seems like I should pick this one up. I'm not crazy about the Duncans, but from a rarity perspective it seems like a keeper.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:39 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Seems like I should pick this one up. I'm not crazy about the Duncans, but from a rarity perspective it seems like a keeper.

I wish I'd have found this guitar first, I'd already be playing it. If you pass on it, let me know, so I can snatch it up.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:09 pm

I haven't posted in a bit, but wanted to share a quick thought on the G&L custom build process.

All things considered I'm fairly disappointed. The dealers I've worked with have been fantastic, but G&L themselves have made the process very difficult. The most frustrating aspect is the complete lack of customer design tools. They offer nothing, and their sole guidance is to look at pictures online. Also, they are quick to push any minor changes into their custom shop. For instance, mini toggles instead of push/pulls are no longer and option...even off menu. To simply drill a hole for a mini toggle requires a custom shop order which more than doubles the price of the instrument. I asked about a HSH configuration. A 15 minute route doubles the cost of the guitar. I now understand why several of the custom shop guitars Craig posts appear to be anything but custom...the customer probably asked for some minor option and paid for it. G&L has also been completely non-responsive to the dealers. They shut down the factory in august so we wanted to see if we could sneak my order in before their break...we got zero response. Really disappointed with their approach...and I'm obviously a huge G&L fan...or was a huge fan.

With everything mentioned above, combined with the massive depreciation of their new guitars (which I was willing to accept), the value just isn't there for me. I've now turned my attention to a custom Warmoth build...again I'm fine with the depreciation, but nice to know I can get exactly what I want. Sad part is, I'm basically building my ideal G&L. However their name won't be on the headstock and they missed an opportunity to lock in a brand loyal customer for life. I'm willing to be a good partner, pay hard earned money for excellent service and quality, but I expect the same from any partner I work with. I'll continue to buy G&L's on the used market, still have a few to review here, but unfortunately will go to other places for custom builds.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:26 am

I think you put your finger on it.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 am

I’ve got to wonder if lately G&L is focused on steering customers more to ready-made guitars (Fullerton series, CLF etc.) rather than the ‘customization’ route that was their prior niche for the last few; unless money is no object and you are willing to go Custom Shop.

It’s sad since I think a lot of customers grew to acquaint the company as being heir own ‘personal custom shop,’ but since I never felt the need to totally spec. out my guitar I guess I’m not too personally bothered. After all- sometimes I do a ‘make your own’ pizza that makes me want to vomit and wish I’d ordered one with a recipe approved by experts.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:29 am

It seems to me that the items on the "Option Order" list haven't changed from what was available before the Fullerton Standard / Deluxe announcement days. I don't know if the pricing is different as I haven't been in the market for a while. I do get how one would get annoyed with having to pay a boat load of money to get a "Custom Shop" guitar when all you really want is a toggle switch instead of a push-pull. But production changes cause grief in a factory, even if it is low volume. Maybe that is the kind of thing you do yourself post purchase with a toggle switch and a bit of wire and solder.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 am

I do get not wanting to make changes like that to a guitar you just bought - esp. if you care about resale. I like the roasted maple and crazy Custom Shop finishes, but seems like G&L is now focused more on the high/low than the middle-ground occupied by personalized prod. instruments.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Cactus Jack that sucks you're disappointed but I'm not sure what you experienced would be a deal breaker for me unless I was just kicking tires. Having to get a push/pull instead of a toggle switch seems like an inconvenience if you prefer one over the other, but how a big a deal is it really? And G&L has never had designer tools. That requires some serious computer programming to create and you're still only going to be left with a computer rendering. Looking at a picture that resembles the build you're looking for will look more realistic than a photoshopped image. And all new guitars depreciate - let's not pretend this is a phenomenon unique to G&L. Does it depreciate more than a Gibson or a Fender? Debatable, but I've taken a bath selling brand new Gibsons and G&Ls alike.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 am

Considering I’ve spent over $20,000 on guitars over the past 2.5 months, I think that indicates I’m more than a tire kicker. In fact, I would assume from G&Ls perspective I’d be the ideal client.

I totally disagree about the lack of a customization being acceptable. If this were 1999 I’d agree, but cmon, this is 2019. For a company that prides themselves on custom builds it’s a major oversight in my mind. Business 101, make the buying process as easy as possible for your customers.

The overall approach left me a bit miffed. Doubling the cost of a guitar for minor changes is not operating in good faith in my opinion. I understand there is a cost involved, but requiring a custom shop build seems excessive. Maybe it’s not to you, but it is to me.

It’s all about principal, approach, and execution. I’m confident in G&Ls ability to execute and build world class instruments, but the first two aspects leave me scratching my head.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:49 pm

I paid $1200 for a custom build S-500 back in 2000. Lefty-strung-right, 3 color burst, tweed case, saddle-lock bridge. G&L used to build you what you wanted for about the same cost as one off the rack. Sorry things have changed so much.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm

anteriorl5 wrote:I paid $1200 for a custom build S-500 back in 2000. Lefty-strung-right, 3 color burst, tweed case, saddle-lock bridge. G&L used to build you what you wanted for about the same cost as one off the rack. Sorry things have changed so much.

However, Option Order G&L instruments are still available, so you can still order an S-500 with those options (except for the Tweed case, which was discontinued in 2001).
See: January 23, 2019-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm

The folks that run G&L today are more interested in playing around in Leo's basement, or whatever they call it, than listening to their customers wishes and building great guitars. That's the simple ground truth as I see it.

So Johnny, Dave, please get back to the real work and forget about playing with your toys. At the very least, keep it to yourselves so that we as customers have the illusion you are working and not playing around.

Tom

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:54 pm

FZTNT wrote:The folks that run G&L today are more interested in playing around in Leo's basement, or whatever they call it, than listening to their customers wishes and building great guitars. That's the simple ground truth as I see it.

So Johnny, Dave, please get back to the real work and forget about playing with your toys. At the very least, keep it to yourselves so that we as customers have the illusion you are working and not playing around.

Tom

I wonder how much it's worth it to have a few more people follow the G&L feed to look for eye candy. On the other hand - There have been times I've thought it was silly when a company *didn't* have any examples of something they'd previously built, for posterity or reference; the flip-side is calling a company and having them be totally unaware of how anything happened greater than six months ago, or the middle ground is people who visit the Fender factory in Corona and think it should be some guitar Disneyland, getting disappointed they basically don't have any significant instrument display (though they give tours.)

I really hope 'Leo's lounge' is turned into a PR boon in an effective way rather than just being dragged across people's Facebook feeds as a glorified place for impromptu yet solo concerts. I'm serious - Living only a couple miles away I'd love to drop by or see events hosted there etc. I agree it doesn't really look good if you think about it, as they are doing it at the moment...

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 am

I wonder if G&L simply doesn't understand the Internet.

The top ten sites on the internet are split between search engines, social networking, and online shopping, with the growth being predominantly centered on the online shopping sites. The data shows that even pornography is less utilized than online shopping.

Any business in 2019 that doesn't sell their products directly to their customers through an online portal, is already behind the curve.

G&L has interested customers all over the world - even in places where there are no G&L dealers. Even on this forum the majority of purchases are being made online. That's not just the way the future is heading, that's the way it's been for a few years now, and increasingly more so as the days go on.. Any marketing strategy that continues to ignore the potential to sell directly to the public online in this day and age, is ignoring what will (or rather, must) eventually become their main generator of income.

Treating the Internet as nothing more than an advertising platform, is like jumping on an F-15 then driving it on the ground to your destination. It can be done - but man you are wasting it's potential.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 am

Part of G&L's resale problem is custom guitars in general because nobody likes the same thing , Kiesel has the same problem with resale , having models like Fullerton Deluxe with limited option choices will help resale like Fender does with American Standard and Deluxe , and then there are companies like Gibson that charge 1700.00 for a SG 1961 Reissue along with a custom shop 1961 Reissue for 4600.00 dollars and they look identical in cherry red , many PRS's that are more than 10K for a custom shop and I bet they don't hold the value to great either , so based on that G&L is still a good deal