LR: Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 am

Lunch and Intro

Today it's about keeping it simple. Lunch is a PB&J, a large glass of homemade limonade, and a slice of cherry pie from the bakery across the street from where I live. I was thinking today that if someone had asked me 25 or 30 years ago what I thought I'd be doing now it would have no resemblance at all to how things turned out. But I can't complain. I've had some pretty good jobs over the years and I think my favorite gig was scouting film locations in NY during the late 80's/early 90's. I worked on a couple of series, some small and large films, and a bunch of videos. Probably the best video shoot was Def Lepard's "Hysteria." Hysteria, which went on to sell over 15,000,000 copies, came out after drummer Rick Allen had his car accident, and the electronic kit Allen designed along with Status Quo drummer Jeff Rich and the Simmons company was quite innovative and interesting to look at. The band were nice guys who were easy to work with and it was a fun shoot. The exterior shots were filmed at the old ILGWU summer camp (which was built in the 30's) in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania, while the interior dance sequence and accompanying shots were done at the old Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal (built in 1889) in what is now Liberty State Park. I've always liked the title track and hadn't seen the video in years so it bought back some good memories.

[youtube]v6R-LZ25Te0[/youtube]

Question 1: What was the best job you've had? What was the worst?

Amps:

Keeping with the theme of keeping it simple and having a small place with neighbors close by I either have to play using headphones or use a small amp at home. I have a Roland Cube 20 with built-in efx for headphone practicing but much prefer small tube amps and use these during the daytime or for "low volume" jams with friends. First up is the ubiquitous Vibro Champ which now belongs to Mr. Ed. A 66 in near-mint condition. I'm not sure why, but I've come across a lot of student amps that look like they've never been used. Perhaps like the proverbial guitar-under-the-bed, a lot of Champs, Vibro Champs and others got bought for or by someone who used them a few times and then stuck them in the closet?

Next is a Titano 314 which is essentially the same as a Magnatone 213 Troubadour. Great Maggie vibrato and a warm, clean sound.

The next one is a Vox AC-4 which also now resides with Mr. Ed. Has all of 3 watts but definitely sounds like a Vox.

Next is a Supro T16 in Bahama Blue. This one has a 6x11 "car radio" speaker, 1 6V6, a 5Y3-GT, and a 12Ax7. Compared to the Vox it weighs almost nothing but it sounds surprisingly good and gets a lot louder than I would have thought.

Last is a "Firefly" built by Chandler Amps. According to my notes it's a push-pull 1.5 watt tube amp utilizing two 12AX7 preamp tubes and a 12AU7 preamp tube in a self-split power tube configuration. One of the 12AX7 tubes is in a switchable cascade boost circuit. It's a great sounding little guy and I love the look of the "Audio Generator" case it's housed in.

Question 2: What was your first amp and what small amps if any do you have?

Question 3:

It seems as if so many guitars over the past 10 (?) years or so are flamed or quilted up the wazoo. From cheapies to small fortune brands and custom builds it's almost become overkill in my humble opinion. Though I do think that G&L does some of the best tops on a production (or even custom) instrument I've seen. Do you tend towards the simple and understated look or go for the flame and the quilt? Please post some pics of tops and finishes you really like. Here's one I'd love to have:

Re: LR: Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:27 am

As far as flamed or quilted goes, it depends on the guitar. As a rule I don't like quilts. On average, most of the flames or quilts you see are thin veneers, that is how cheapies get away with using them. While the interceptor you linked is pretty good, I have never really been impressed with the tops G&L has reined in, I have seen a lot of Meh ones over time. Then again I have some stellar figured tops in my stable, so I might be a little jaded. I generally have an idea of what I am looking for in appearance of a guitar when I buy them, so I chase that idea right through.

I only have 1 amp and it is my second guitar amp. My first was a cheapo squier start pack amp, my second a Mesa Mark V. There was a period in between when I gave away the squier and amp that I played a GNX3000 through my bass amp (a fender BXR, which I enjoy, love the 10 band eq).

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

"Worst" job, fast food. No doubt it was the worst and I gained a few lb's too... Great little amps. My smallest is a Gorilla GG-20 stashed away somewhere. Between that and my Hondo our lights would flicker in the house every time I used it... Dig yours, though. A few weeks ago, I saw a tiny Fender tweed that had a tiny speaker in it. Incredibly well made, but tiny! Smallest I've EVER seen. It was next to a tweed Tremolux, Vibrolux and some cool vintage Marshal half-stack combo.

BTW, that quilted guitar looks solid; not just a top. I've seen a few solid quilt maple bodies before. Awesome!

Cheers,

Will

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Jon, jobs, I never had one that I didn't like. I've sold insurance, been in the computer industry for ever and sold Radiant heat and enjoyed them all. I guess I always I thought I was lucky to be working. Best job ever is now. Retired. I get decent pay no matter what I do. Keep paying in to SS you younger folks and keep my paychecks coming!!!

Nice display of amps.My first amp in 1961 was a Gibson. I did not have it long as I blew the speaker playing bass. I them went to a 62 Bassman and never looked back. I do not have a small tube amp but have been eying a Soldano Rocket Verb 16. Don't know much about them but after all it is covered in RED Tolex.

Flamed and Quilted guitars are beautiful especially when done tastefully. The reason they seem so plentiful is that most of them are the inexpensive imports with veneer tops. The G&L in the picture today, I agree with Will on. It looks like solid quilt. G&L has some beautiful Swamp Ash bodies. I am always amazed when looking at the side of the natural binding on my F-100 return. It is a wonderful maple cap and it is thick giving the natural binding a whole new dimension. My recent Taylor SB also has a magnificent top. I do like some things simple. I have an Amber American Deluxe Strat that I just discovered has the tint in the very last top coat. I am going to wet sand It to remove the tint and have a natural Alder Strat. It will be very nice. Looking forward to the rest of the week.-- Darwin

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 pm

The Interceptor is solid flamed maple. From Greg's page:

The G&L Interceptor was introduced in 1984 as a stunning Super Strat style guitar. Born during the peak of Heavy Metal music’s popularity, the first two versions of the Interceptor had wild looking X-shaped bodies. According to G&L researcher Gabe Dellevigne, the design was a collaborative effort between George Fullerton, Dale Hyatt, Steve Reed, and Lloyd Chewning. The guitar was available with two pickup configurations: three MFD single coil units from the Skyhawk or two Offset MFD humbucking units from the Cavalier. It is interesting to note that G&L often used a two-tone color scheme for the finishes on many X-body Interceptors, but the earliest units (made when the model was considered a limited edition) had flame maple bodies. In fact, all the X-body guitars had solid maple bodies without exception, but the early ones were flame maple. Gabe explains that Leo Fender didn't like a guitar body with a "cap" as he wanted to keep glued surfaces to a minimum. The X-body Interceptor proved unpopular so very few were made prior to its discontinuation in 1986 due to lack of sales.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:47 pm

darwinohm wrote:I do not have a small tube amp but have been eying a Soldano Rocket Verb 16. Don't know much about them but after all it is covered in RED Tolex.-- Darwin

That Astroverb is an original custom ordered by solidbodyguitar. That is also a custom speaker configuration and a good buy at the price listed. No question; may be signed too. I was eying it a while back, but got a VHT instead. Then I got the Lucky 13.

Edit: If you want more info, I'll be speaking with Mike Soldano later this week and can ask. He's actually digging up stuff on my Lucky 13 and why it has a different configuration and a "Line Out" jack???

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:19 pm

My worst job was working on the checkout in a supermarket. Constant beeping, monotony, standing still for hours on end. I'd dream about it at night too. Luckily I got transferred to another part of the store. I was making $230 for working a 40hr a week in 2000, a pittance.

I generally like a plain electric guitar. I'd prefer a plain maple topped Les Paul to a super AAAAA quilt. I'm a cheap date.

First amp was a Peavey Backstage 110. Not a bad amp on the clean channel but the OD side was awful. I've had a few small tube amps. A 12W tweed deluxe clone, an 18W Ampeg J-20, which had the best tremolo I've ever heard in it, and my new 25W Supro. The Supro is easily the best amp I've ever owned. I love it. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if they made them in Bahama blue. That colour is something else!

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 pm

My worst job was shoving advertising inserts into newspapers at 3 am then walking home in the freezing cold afterwards because I was too young to drive. Following closely behind was slashing trails through dense rain forest for surveyors to follow. Dodging angry, venomous snakes was an occupational hazard. At the end of every day I would have blisters on my hands and cuts on any exposed flesh from wayward branches and cutting grass. My Dad thought I'd last a week. I quit after 3 months when I had enough $$$ for my first hi-fi stereo.

I don't like quilt tops much. I'm a simple dude (in both senses of the word simple). If I was going to have a quilt top it would be something relatively subtle like this.

My first amp was the same as Jamie's - a Peavey Backstage Plus 110. I still have it. It has nice cleans and the worst solid state distortion channel ever invented. My first tube amp was a '95 Blues Junior Tweed which I also still have. I like small amps and still don't have anything over 15W. In fact 5W is about perfect for home and studio. It's much easier to enjoy overdriven tones when your windows are still intact. :D

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:08 pm

jonc wrote:
Question 1: What was the best job you've had? What was the worst?

The best job was working in a music store when I was in high school and college. The worst job was being a Volkswagen mechanic.

jonc wrote:Question 2: What was your first amp and what small amps if any do you have?

My first amp was a solid state late era 70's Alamo. I currently have a pair of small Fender amps. I have a '56 Princeton and a '71 Princeton Reverb.

jonc wrote:Question 3:

It seems as if so many guitars over the past 10 (?) years or so are flamed or quilted up the wazoo. From cheapies to small fortune brands and custom builds it's almost become overkill in my humble opinion. Though I do think that G&L does some of the best tops on a production (or even custom) instrument I've seen. Do you tend towards the simple and understated look or go for the flame and the quilt? Please post some pics of tops and finishes you really like.

I've never been a fan of quilt but I like mild flame tops! My favorite is my '84 G&L, HG-2 with a solid flame maple body.

Sprinter 92

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Ha! jonc, I recognize that Vibro Champ and that little old Voxxy thing. They reside in my basement and I am enjoying them!

Better yet, they allowed me to pass my SuperChamp XD on to my kid, who is doing a "Bach to Rock" camp right now and enjoying playing with other aspiring musicians for the first time. Bully!

Regarding fancy tops, I've had them and I can tell you that I cannot hear the difference between them and their plain-top brethren. My wallet can feel the difference though! That X-body is something else, though..... I'm going to check out the video now. You've done some wonderful and interesting things for sure. I promise to have a beer or four with you one day before I'm totally geezed-out. Gotta tell a bedtime story now..... Thanks for what is becoming a very interesting week! - ed

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Will, it is an Astroverb 16 2-12. I tried it tonight and it has a good clean and it breaks up very nice with the gain but it did not have the wow factor I was hoping for. Anyway, it was fun to try. I think the 2 channel Lucky 13 would be a much better setup.-- Darwin

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:31 pm

jonc wrote:...It seems as if so many guitars over the past 10 (?) years or so are flamed or quilted up the wazoo. From cheapies to small fortune brands and custom builds it's almost become overkill in my humble opinion. Though I do think that G&L does some of the best tops on a production (or even custom) instrument I've seen. Do you tend towards the simple and understated look or go for the flame and the quilt? Please post some pics of tops and finishes you really like....

No lunch but dinner time. In an effort to follow the format somewhat, I had a banana and some raw cashews for lunch. My first amp was a Peavy Classic. I really did not like it and my next amp was a deliberately un-Peavy Sunn which was pure joy. I used to love the bursts. A burst with a quilted top renews that enchantment. Yesterday you posted a picture of this ASAT. Would you mind describing a little about it? Was it a special series or a custom order? It looks like a GOT birdseye neck with a white binding on rosewood(?) or ebony(?) fretboard. Is the body bound on the back as well? What size neck does it have? Are there other pictures of it posted somewhere in this forum?

Is this and the guitar Sprinter 92 posted the 3-tone sunburst? I had thought cherryburst but the darkest shade indicates it is probably the 3-tone sunburst. The quilt and flame brings out the mid and lighter tones then the darkest area adds a nice frame. With a binding it is just gorgeous.

Last edited by Michael-GnL-Michael on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Howdy Jon,

I was first tempted to give the same response as Darwin on the job question: I haven't had a job I didn't like. Manned the stock room for a large Dutch department store after school hours, was the mad scientist I always loved to be and worked in the software industry on some really cool problems and with really smart people. But of course there is still one you would like the least and I think that would be my last year working as MSFT after Atlas Solutions was acquired in the purchase of aQuantive; not so much because the work was terrible but rather because the awful and suffocating MSFT management style and politics slowly infiltrated into my daily life. My best work, and I'm sticking to it, was not my thesis research nor writing a super-performant backbone for storing data for online games at PopCap but rather my first year and a half as a commercial software developer at WRQ Inc. working on a product that now in retrospect turned out to be a decade ahead of its time. I couldn't have wished for a better transition from (nuclear) physics to software development.

Jon you seem to have (had) some cool little amps. Can imagine that Ed is happy with them. I don't have all too many small amps but here some pics (L-to-R Tom Scholz Soloist, Fender Mini-Twin, Café Walter HA-1A practice bass amp, Mesa Boogie Subway Blues):
ImageImage

I have several maximally flamed out (10-top) PRS's, a Tacoma mandolin and a G&L L-2500 with quilt tops that both make you seasick, and I will admit that at least when I started collecting that esthetics and looks played a large role in which instruments to buy. And then again, that was in a time that not everybody was doing flame and quilted tops. Paul Reed Smith is in large part responsible for bringing flame to the masses in my opinion. But I must admit there is something to say for the understated flame in one of my favorite axes: a PRS 245 Sunburst, one where Paul didn't go all out!:

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks for posting some great stories and shots guys. Michael: I guess you would consider both the quilt top BB and the HG2 to be 3TSB. The quilted ASAT is actually Blues Boy #1. # 2 neck, rosewood fingerboard and triple bound. There is a great story behind it from Tim Page picking out the top wood that had been sitting in Leo's office to the mishap that happened to it a bit later in it's life. So yes, it's part of the original run that eventually became part of the regular lineup. The "Rarebird" list in the Registry has some good info on the original run. I'll also see if I can rustle up some more pics and post them later in the week. "Bach To Rock" camp? Man, kids have all the fun. :)

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:36 am

http://www.b2rmusic.com/bach-to-rock?z=v3

The kids are really having fun at this camp! - ed

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:03 pm

darwinohm wrote:Will, it is an Astroverb 16 2-12. I tried it tonight and it has a good clean and it breaks up very nice with the gain but it did not have the wow factor I was hoping for. Anyway, it was fun to try. I think the 2 channel Lucky 13 would be a much better setup.-- Darwin

Yeah, I was looking at that when it was still for sale at the shop. The Lucky 13 has the clean channel too... Here's a video of the guy who helped design it for Soldano and demoing my amp. Mine's actually a prototype... I guess.

[youtube]BRBQcu_Qbm8[/youtube]

Cheers,

Will
Last edited by willross on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:As for small amps, I've owned champs, vibrochamps, but what I really want is a Princeton Reverb. The real thing, not a reissue.

Well, if interested, I know where you can get these:

1964 Fender Vibrolux 1X12 6L6 30 Watt
1964 Fender Princeton 100% Bone Stock
1966 Fender Princeton Reverb Mercury Transformers

Cheers,

Will

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 am

Hey jonc,

Nice Week so far. COol bout the DL shoot. I remember that album was HUGE back in the day... not long before the folks from Seattle toppled all the Hair bands off the charts... Still I dug em and it sounds like it was a fun gig.

Best job for me was working for a small independent organic food Co in Fremont (The Center of the Universe) slightly NW of downtown Seattle. Job didn't pay much but cool people, cool food, and the best f-ing schedule I ever had... M-F with Weds off. Never worked more than 2 days in a row! Plus my delivery schedule allowed for some flexability so I could hit Pawnshops in and round the city. Scored some Sweet deals including a very clean SF Princeton Reverb for $210 (in 2001) just mins after it hit the floor.

Worst job for me was working for an avionics division of a large Corp for 5 long years. Decent pay but little else... Working there was total Ofice Space minus the cubicles... Ah, yeah, um I'd like you to work this weekend... Ugh.

Cool guitar + amps. NOt a big fan of flame but that interceptor's Rad. I had the same version of thatSupro but someone stuck a 10" alnico in it. Great amp and one I'd dig to have today.
I'm a big fan of small amps. Had a couple of original SUper Champs, a tube Vox pacemaker, plus vibros, champs and PR's.

My small amp at the mo is this thing which actually sounds pretty good believe it or not. COuldn't tell by the looks of it bu very SF Champ-like when its set to a clean setting.
Like the one in the vid it sound good with pedals...

[youtube]z_Pnu-7BNuY[/youtube][/youtube]

Gear here in NZ isn't nearly as cheap as it is in the states... that said, I'm working on a way to procure a small tube amp + on the cheap and looks like I will be successful...

Cheers,

Kf