G 200 pick ups

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi,in the 80's I bought a G200 3 months later I installed different pick ups but I kept the originals.About 5 yrs later I got a beat up F 100 it was minus the wammy bar and the p\ups were in a bag.Here is where I could use some help from some one who owns a G200.Could you please tell me if the 200 had hex head p\up adjustment screws or were they slot head adj screws?I had called G&L they did'nt have an answer.Next problem how do you determine which p\up was the the neck and which was the bridge?thanks

Re: G 200 pick ups

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Welcome to G&LDP. I don't have a G-200, but I do own an early F-100. I believe the pickups were the same between both guitars, but the wiring schematics were different. Some F-100 owners rewire their instruments to match G-200 specs and rave about the results.

If you check the Knowledgebase section of this website you will find a list of all the pickups G&L has used dating back to 1980. It will list the guitars each appeared in, so a quick check should confirm whether they were the same in the F-100 and G-200. As for the pole pieces, the first MFD humbuckers were slotted, and the later ones (around '81, I believe) had hex heads. The Knowledgebase pickup list gives an exact date, as well as any differences between the neck and bridge. In any case, your G-200 could have come with either slotted or hex heads depending on the production date.

I just checked my F-100. It has slotted pole pieces. The pickup height adjustment screws are Phillips head. I haven't popped the neck to verify the date, but based on the serial number (which is lower than G&Ls official "first" guitar) it is one of the very early ones.

Just a suggestion, you might want to move this message over to the "G&L Products" forum. It may get more attention/responses there. "Introductions" is usually where new members post a little bit of background about themselves. "G&L Products" is where most of the gear discussion takes place.

I would really love to see photos of those guitars! We don't see many G-200s around here.

Ken

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Ken ,thanks for the advice.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Puffy85 wrote:Hi,in the 80's I bought a G200 3 months later I installed different pick ups but I kept the originals.About 5 yrs later I got a beat up F 100 it was minus the wammy bar and the p\ups were in a bag.Here is where I could use some help from some one who owns a G200.Could you please tell me if the 200 had hex head p\up adjustment screws or were they slot head adj screws?I had called G&L they did'nt have an answer.Next problem how do you determine which p\up was the the neck and which was the bridge?thanks

All of the G-200's I have seen had the hex pole pieces. See the Rarebird entry for the G-200 in our G&L Registry for
more info on this model.

The pickups have color coded wires. From our guitarsbyleo.com Gallery-> Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics ->
F-100 Wiring Schematics and Picture Diagrams ->1981 F-100 Picture Diagram:

Hope this helps.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 am

Puffy85 wrote:Next problem how do you determine which p\up was the the neck and which was the bridge?thanks

If you can measure the ohmic resistance, you may get only little difference. As there wasn't a neck or bridge pickup, they seem all the same. In doubt you may use the one with the higher resistance for the bridge, as it may have some more windings than the other.

BTW: F-100 from 1981 slotted pole pieces, F-100 from 1982: hex-hole pole pieces
Last edited by Miles Smiles on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:21 pm

All G-200 pups had hex poles. The 200 pups may look similar to the 100s but they are a unique spec and not the same as the F-100 pups. The 200s have more turns on the coil form, equaling a higher DC-R A typical G-200 neck pup will have a DC-R of 7.5 or so and the bridge pup will measure at 7.8 or higher. The F-100 neck pups will measure around 7.0 and bridge at 7.4, doesn't seem like a big differance but combined with the difference in gauss values of the magnets it make for a way different soundiong pickup, much smoother and more dynamic. The gauss value measured at thre top of the pole for an F-`100 pup is 710 and for a G-200 pup 600. The lead wires were the same color on the 100s and 200s

Please let me know if you ever want to sell the 200 pups!

gary

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Gary thanks for the depth of your information I am in the process of restoring the g200 back to original .but if decide to sell the F 100 p\ups I wiil contact you.