pickup identification

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Before anyone flames, I searched the forum and hit the search button, and typed in my pickups and they do not show up.

The pickups are identified as TWB-2A I was told they are "Custom shop single coil noiseless"

there are only red and black wires, there is 3rd wire. Which is what the normal dual blade pickups have.

Can anyone help me out identifying these?

Re: pickup identification

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I believe from cross referencing the Legacy wiring block diagram with the Knowledgebase list of pickups that these are G&L Vintage Style Alnico V designated for the neck and middle positions. I could be wrong, someone want to corroborate?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm

no_rex4u wrote:Before anyone flames, I searched the forum and hit the search button, and typed in my pickups and they do not show up.

The pickups are identified as TWB-2A I was told they are "Custom shop single coil noiseless"

there are only red and black wires, there is 3rd wire. Which is what the normal dual blade pickups have.

Can anyone help me out identifying these?

You probably have a Legacy Special and the blade pickups are made to G&L specs by Gotoh in Japan.

Here's a picture diagram (located in the Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics Album of our Gallery:

As mentioned by JagInTheBag, also see the List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:31 pm

What he said! :signs009:

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:34 pm

im assuming those are the pickups.

I bought a loaded pickguard off an old tech (2 TWB-2, and a SD JBjr) for $140.

they are going in my 87 Fender hardtail strat, with my 87 MIJ 57 ri neck.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:01 pm

no_rex4u wrote:I bought a loaded pickguard off an old tech (2 TWB-2, and a SD JBjr) for $140.

they are going in my 87 Fender hardtail strat, with my 87 MIJ 57 ri neck.

That should sound good. In case you aren't familiar with G&L control setups, you should check the Knowledgebase for info on the PTB ("Passive Treble Bass") system. The controls are not the same as you'd find on a Fender or most Strat clones. When you get the hang of the PTB setup, it is a lot nicer IMO than the others.

Ken

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 pm

So the pickups are missing the 3rd wire.

and does G&L sell white pickup covers for these??

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:10 pm

no_rex4u wrote:and does G&L sell white pickup covers for these??

I'm not sure, but everything they sell on the aftermarket is listed in the on-line store on G&L's website (www.glguitars.com). They do sell covers for at least some of the MFD pickups.

Ken

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 pm

no_rex4u wrote:So the pickups are missing the 3rd wire.

and does G&L sell white pickup covers for these??

See the asterisk note in the picture diagram I posted previously. The blue/white wire is not used and is clipped.
These pickups do not have a separate pickup cover. They only come in black.

If you purchase these pickups from the G&L On-line store you would get all three wires:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: