90's Legacy body wood??

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:42 am

Just saw an interesting ad for a mid-90's USA Legacy in solid black. The seller thinks it has a basswood body... I thought that USA Legacy's were either ash or alder.... Did G&L make basswood Legacys during this time or is the seller mistaken? (I'm guessing it would really be alder).

Re: 90's Legacy body wood??

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:34 pm

I have a '94 Legacy and I believe it is alder...at least as far as I know. I remember going on g&l's website way back and reading something about basswood on some models at one time, however. Someone else may be able to better verify this. For what it's worth though, Suhr uses basswood on their guitars and they are by no means bad sounding, if that's why you ask.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:33 pm

I just tried a '90s Legacy at Guitar Center, and would have sworn that half the guitar's weight was in the neck. The thought crossed my mind that it felt like either poplar or basswood.

Ken

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:26 pm

davecan wrote:Just saw an interesting ad for a mid-90's USA Legacy in solid black. The seller thinks it has a basswood body... I thought that USA Legacy's were either ash or alder.... Did G&L make basswood Legacys during this time or is the seller mistaken? (I'm guessing it would really be alder).

For standard Legacy models the mid-90's body wood was either Alder for standard finishes and Swamp Ash for the premier finishes.
Basswood (American Tilda) was used on the early Legacy Deluxe models. See the post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8789&hilit=Basswood.

Hope this helps.

:geek: