Identifying a G&L

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi, forgive a newbie but is there a list of serial numbers or can you decifer a serial number to work out age?

Re: Identifying a G&L

Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Is your G&L a made in USA or Tribute. MIA have serial number on the neck plate or back of headstock depending on age. My quick lazy answer for locating age of yours is this link. There may be someting in the Knowledge base section.

http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index2.asp

Post pics and we can help more.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:42 pm

Chuckboots wrote:Hi, forgive a newbie but is there a list of serial numbers or can you decifer a serial number to work out age?

See this post in the General G&L Questions sub-forum of the Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

Please post a photo or two of your G&L, as we do require proof of existance. :searching:
And don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry. See this post for details on posting photos and general navigation of our site: Welcome! Read This First.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi serial number is CLF18311, just getting to grips with photo hosting but will get a pic up

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:42 pm

oh and its on a waterslide on the back of the headstock....aside from the looks...its just sounds so good.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Chuckboots wrote:Hi serial number is CLF18311, just getting to grips with photo hosting but will get a pic up

A quick search on our G&L Registry indicates that it was likely built in 2000 (using serial number range search). It's not currently registered, so please do add it to our Registry.
Which model is it?

Looking forward to seeing your G&L. :searching:

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 pm

[image]http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=13437[/image]

Its an Asat Classic

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Welcome, WoW, that's a bowling ball Asat. Very few around and sweet it is! -- Darwin

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Chuckboots wrote:[image]http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=13437[/image]

Its an Asat Classic

Here's your photo inline:
You can post larger sized photos, too. (up to 1024x1300) ;)

It looks great with the natural wooding binding, too. :thumbup:

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for that...I've fallen for those tones.....and the looks are quite striking...I havent seen another one yet. Does anyone else have one on here?

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Darwin, your gold Asat just looks outstanding

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks Chuck, the Legacy I had was a green swirl. -- Darwin

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Craig wrote:A quick search on our G&L Registry indicates that it was likely built in 2000 (using serial number range search).

Blue Swirl was off the finish list by 2000, so it could have been a '98-'99 or a special order. Either way it's probably about the last of the swirls...

Ken

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:01 pm

KenC wrote:
Craig wrote:A quick search on our G&L Registry indicates that it was likely built in 2000 (using serial number range search).

Blue Swirl was off the finish list by 2000, so it could have been a '98-'99 or a special order. Either way it's probably about the last of the swirls...

Ken

On a related note, see this post: viewtopic.php?p=58269#p58269.

I do hope that Malcolm and his paint crew can find the magic to bring the Swirl finishes back.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:17 pm

ohhh blue swirl.. :happy0065: ..were there other colours too? I love the surprise when folk think mine is plain...until the light hits.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Chuckboots wrote: ..were there other colours too?

Check the old catalogs and finish charts in the Gallery section. I believe there were also reds, greens and blacks.

Ken

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:24 am

KenC wrote:

Ken

They were still available in 2000. I know because I was still maintaining G&L's website then. The Swirl finishes were dropped from the 2001 Catalog.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:30 am

Chuckboots wrote:ohhh blue swirl.. :happy0065: ..were there other colours too? I love the surprise when folk think mine is plain...until the light hits.

There were three Swirl finishes beginning in 1992. They were Red Swirl, Blue Swirl and Black Swirl.
In 1993, they changed the name of Black Swirl to Black Silver Swirl.
In 1994, they added Green Swirl.
These four Swirl finishes remained through 2000. They were dropped from the 2001 Catalog.