Bluesy Deluxe?

Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:32 am

just saw this on the Facebook page for G&L.
https://www.facebook.com/GnLguitars/pho ... =3&theater

RED Metal Flake Bluesboy. Perfect for Xmas of course but there are 2 things really very interesting going on here. Perhaps you can comment Craig?

First, the neck is painted the same colour, rare for a G&L. BUT, what I really find interesting, is I believe its the first BluesBoy Deluxe, meaning rare mounted controls and therefore, no pick guard. While I have seen a few one offs, this looks production.

I really hope G&L releases the BLUES Boy Deluxe, no pick guard. Sure is purdy!

Have a fantastic Xmas or Happy Holidays

ALf

Re: Bluesy Deluxe?

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:33 am

I have to agree Alf, that is one sweet Bluesboy. That would interest me if it became a production model and I could try one. -- Darwin

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:14 pm

I would have ordered that in Empress if I knew you could get that a few a weeks ago ...... now I am thinking about a clear pick guard

Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:07 pm

astutzmann wrote:just saw this on the Facebook page for G&L.

RED Metal Flake Bluesboy. Perfect for Xmas of course but there are 2 things really very interesting going on here. Perhaps you can comment Craig?

First, the neck is painted the same colour, rare for a G&L. BUT, what I really find interesting, is I believe its the first BluesBoy Deluxe, meaning rare mounted controls and therefore, no pick guard. While I have seen a few one offs, this looks production.

ALf

Here's the full post on G&L's facebook post:

Here's an ASAT Classic Bluesboy in Red Metal Flake with full matching neck, pickguard delete, rear mounted controls,
Slim C neck profile with rosewood board. CLF075792 is part of a special custom run for our distributor in Japan Kurosawa Music Online.

As you can see, this is a special custom run the Japanese distributor.

I would not call this a "Deluxe", since G&L always referred to Deluxe models as having Maple Tops (Flamed or Quilted).
Maybe call them ASAT Classic "Bluesboy" RMC. See below.

Regarding painted necks, they have done some prototypes and this one is in the Prototypes on the main G&L website:

Serial Number: CLF071739

Date Completed: October 15, 2014

Description: Ruby Red Metallic over alder, pearl guard, rosewood fingerboard, matching full-painted neck, model logo delete, silver border G&L logo.

Purpose: Dave McLaren recalls, "In the mid-to-late '80s, G&L made many instruments with full matching necks. Some of us here, especially me, have had a thing for this look so we decided to build a few instruments and let the idea sink in. At the time this is written, February 2015, we've not decided whether to, or how exactly to offer this option. This prototype is an uncomplicated example: Ruby Red Metallic body with matching neck and headstock. Because we have so many colors and details to consider, this option is not as easy as printing it in a price list. The full matching neck may someday become an option, but there will be quite a bit of sussing out to do before we get there. Until then, here's a prototype that looks very cool."

Available at: Martin Music in Memphis, TN.

ASAT Special

So, not yet an available option.

G&L lately have done some RMC (Rear Mounted Controls) mostly on Legacy and S-500 models, which have shown up on the Inventory lists and their facebook page.
This, too, is not yet an available option.

The pickguard delete is an option, beginning in July, 2015. See: July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options and look for the Pickguard Options post.

Another thing new is the individual string grommets in place of the rear string retainer block. I heard about this on my October visit to the factory, but this is the first
one I have seen. I don't know if this is just a special request for this order or whether all new ASAT Classic models will now have this change. After the first of the
year, I will contact Dave to get more details on the features of this special custom run.

I also think this is a new model they should add to their standard production list.

Stay tuned.

Hope everyone is having a Happy Holiday!

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added more comments.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:49 pm

darn , I missed the pick guard delete option

Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:16 am

Thanks for the info Craig. It sure is a very interesting piece.

I like the individual grommets, Remove Pickguard option and the rear mounted controls.

NICE

I hope everyone had a great holidays and wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Years.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Cool, its good to see G&L trying so much new stuff recently. I've seen a few guitars with rear mounted humbuckers recently, they look very neat and would be great here - that pickup mounting ring looks pretty clunky.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Craig wrote:
astutzmann wrote:just saw this on the Facebook page for G&L.

ALf

Here's the full post on G&L's facebook post:

Here's an ASAT Classic Bluesboy in Red Metal Flake with full matching neck, pickguard delete, rear mounted controls,
Slim C neck profile with rosewood board. CLF075792 is part of a special custom run for our distributor in Japan Kurosawa Music Online.

As you can see, this is a special custom run the Japanese distributor.

I would not call this a "Deluxe", since G&L always referred to Deluxe models as having Maple Tops (Flamed or Quilted).
Maybe call them ASAT Classic "Bluesboy" RMC. See below.

Regarding painted necks, they have done some prototypes and this one is in the Prototypes on the main G&L website:

Serial Number: CLF071739

Date Completed: October 15, 2014

Description: Ruby Red Metallic over alder, pearl guard, rosewood fingerboard, matching full-painted neck, model logo delete, silver border G&L logo.

Purpose: Dave McLaren recalls, "In the mid-to-late '80s, G&L made many instruments with full matching necks. Some of us here, especially me, have had a thing for this look so we decided to build a few instruments and let the idea sink in. At the time this is written, February 2015, we've not decided whether to, or how exactly to offer this option. This prototype is an uncomplicated example: Ruby Red Metallic body with matching neck and headstock. Because we have so many colors and details to consider, this option is not as easy as printing it in a price list. The full matching neck may someday become an option, but there will be quite a bit of sussing out to do before we get there. Until then, here's a prototype that looks very cool."

Available at: Martin Music in Memphis, TN.

ASAT Special

So, not yet an available option.

G&L lately have done some RMC (Rear Mounted Controls) mostly on Legacy and S-500 models, which have shown up on the Inventory lists and their facebook page.
This, too, is not yet an available option.

The pickguard delete is an option, beginning in July, 2015. See: July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options and look for the Pickguard Options post.

Another thing new is the individual string grommets in place of the rear string retainer block. I heard about this on my October visit to the factory, but this is the first
one I have seen. I don't know if this is just a special request for this order or whether all new ASAT Classic models will now have this change. After the first of the
year, I will contact Dave to get more details on the features of this special custom run.

I also think this is a new model they should add to their standard production list.

Stay tuned.

Hope everyone is having a Happy Holiday!

I just saw this on G&Ls' facebook page on this guitar, in response to this question: Will there be any in the States???

G&L Musical Instruments You can order this at any authorized G&L dealer

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I would have ordered that in Empress if I knew you could get that a few a weeks ago ...... now I am thinking about a clear pick guard

Fumble fingers wrote:darn , I missed the pick guard delete option

I like your idea of going with a clear pick guard. When you do, please post a photo. :thumbup:

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:39 am

Craig wrote:

I like your idea of going with a clear pick guard. When you do, please post a photo. :thumbup:

On guitars with front mounted controls a clear pickguard usually doesn't work, at least not nowadays. The guitars will have a channel from the control cavity to the pickups for the wiring. So it is not just for esthetic reasons a guitar without pickguard has rear mounted controls; that is how the channel problem is solved. There are plenty of exceptions to this "rule" I am aware of, among them the Lacewoords and 1st pickguard John Jorgensen Signatures, which used transparent drumheads as a guard,. But, the factory would have to do some extra careful work to make it all work, drilling a channel from the neck pocket to the control cavity.
ImageImage

So I doubt taking off the pickguard or replacing it with a transparent guard will always work. One would have to look under the covers first.

- Jos

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:17 pm

it worked on Jeff Marshals Buck Owens Flake , I was wanting to get one for my Flake too

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:19 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Craig wrote:

On guitars with front mounted controls a clear pickguard usually doesn't work, at least not nowadays. The guitars will have a channel from the control cavity to the pickups for the wiring. So it is not just for esthetic reasons a guitar without pickguard has rear mounted controls; that is how the channel problem is solved. There are plenty of exceptions to this "rule" I am aware of, among them the Lacewoords and 1st pickguard John Jorgensen Signatures, which used transparent drumheads as a guard,. But, the factory would have to do some extra careful work to make it all work, drilling a channel from the neck pocket to the control cavity.
ImageImage

So I doubt taking off the pickguard or replacing it with a transparent guard will always work. One would have to look under the covers first.

- Jos

The ASAT Special and two pickup ASAT Classic models were changed about 4 or 5 years ago. Dave had mentioned that ordering no pickguard was an off-menu option for ASAT Specials and
some ASAT Classics. I had added that to the Off-menu items post in the G&L Knowledgebase at that time. Because the pickguard delete option was officially added to the July 1, 2015 US Price List,
I then removed them from the Off-menu items post.

Yesterday, I added more examples of this option to the July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.
Here's the link to the Examples of Pickguard delete option post that is referenced in the Specifications and Options post just mentioned.

Here's a photo of an ASAT Classic body, showing routes and holes for wiring:

Fumble fingers wrote:it worked on Jeff Marshals Buck Owens Flake , I was wanting to get one for my Flake too

You should be able to use a clear guard on your's, too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Craig on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added photo of an ASAT Classic body showing routes and holes for wiring

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Color matched neck AND headstock are the bombest of the bomb.