G&L will be offering the saddles and block from the DFS ...

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:57 pm

... Vibrato system! I know some of you were interested to know when this would happen. :thumbup:

[From a post by Dave on the G&L Facebook page, today]

... soon we'll offer the saddles and block from our DFS version. A nice upgrade.

So, check with your local G&L dealer or the G&L on-line store soon for details.
When I hear more details, I will update this post.

:mrgreen:

Re: G&L will be offering the saddles and block from the DFS

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:54 am

Nice. I hope it's soon. Any information on if the blocks will fit pre-metric as well as post-metric bridges? I've never tried to swap blocks between my G&Ls, so I'm not sure if the block is interchangeable between the two versions.

Thanks!

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 am

Rocktacular,

Do you have a DFS?

If so how would you say it compares to the DF?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:35 am

jwebsmall wrote:Rocktacular,

Do you have a DFS?

If so how would you say it compares to the DF?

No. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have two USA Legacies. A Legacy Deluxe that came with a factory steel block, during the short period when they used them. It was made around 2005 or 2006.
Also have a 1993 USA Legacy that had a zinc block. I replaced that with a Callaham steel block, and loved the results.
My third Legacy is a Tribute, and has the zinc saddles and zinc block.

As far as I know, the only major differences between the DFS and DF, is the DFS has steel block and saddles. DF has plated brass saddles, and pretty sure modern DF's have a brass block. You can expect a little more of a punchier, more percussive, louder, and more harmonic content type of tone. Brass sounds more full and rich in the mids, and a little softer sounding. That's my experience with swapping blocks on other guitars.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks! That helps!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:21 am

So what this means I assume is that say if I have an old Legacy or purchase a used older Legacy, I can buy the DFS bridge system and install it in place of the older DF bridge.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:00 am

Ribsspare wrote:So what this means I assume is that say if I have an old Legacy or purchase a used older Legacy, I can buy the DFS bridge system and install it in place of the older DF bridge.

It will be an upgrade kit to convert your existing DF system to the DFS system. So, you will get
just the trem block and saddles, which are the differences between the DF and the DFS.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 am

Will the upgrade kit be mentioned here or somewhere on the G&L site?

Oops - never mind I just read the first posting of this thread again.
Sorry.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm so excited, thanks! I can't wait to put one on my Legacy.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Hot rod, yeah baby.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Well....it's been 6 months. Any word on the DFS saddles and block?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 am

desertrat07 wrote:Well....it's been 6 months. Any word on the DFS saddles and block?

I checked with Steve and he said:

We have not gotten this together ..... yet

I hope we can have this available within the next month or so

Thanks

Steve Grom

As soon as I hear more, I will post a followup.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Will this be available for Tributes?

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:00 pm

zedsnotdead wrote:Will this be available for Tributes?

It will be an upgrade kit to convert your existing DF system to the DFS system.
You will be able to upgrade your existing Tribute Legacy, Tribute S-500, or Tribute Comanche models.
It will not be an bridge option on a new Tribute model, like it currently is on the USA models.

Hope this helps.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Craig wrote:

You will be able to upgrade your existing Tribute Legacy, Tribute S-500, or Tribute Comanche models.
It will not be an bridge option on a new Tribute model, like it currently is on the USA models.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Craig,

the thing is I have a Tribute S-500, I bought it in 2008 new, but I live in Europe (Portugal).
This topic states that the GFS saddles and blocks will be "offered". Would G&L send them to me? So what should I do? Send the invoice to G&L quarters?
Am i missing something?

Thanks!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 am

zedsnotdead wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thank you Craig,

the thing is I have a Tribute S-500, I bought it in 2008 new, but I live in Europe (Portugal).
This topic states that the GFS saddles and blocks will be "offered". Would G&L send them to me? So what should I do? Send the invoice to G&L quarters?
Am i missing something?

Thanks!

i think they would prefer money over an invoice :mrgreen:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 am

I guess, we simply have to wait, until that stuff appears at the online store. :)

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:42 am

I decided to post again in this thread for a few reasons;

1.) Hurry up with this! :D

2.) I made a mistake in an earlier post about the block in the Tribute DF bridge. It is brass, not zinc. Pretty sure the DF bridges on the Tributes and USA models are the same exact thing except the saddles, and I'm not 100% sure about the saddles. The tributes might have zinc saddles.

3.) For those who can't wait for G&L steel saddles, GFS sells steel ones that work. I installed them on my 1993 Legacy, and they work great. Just the difference in tone I would expect from going from brass to steel in other guitars. Steel is harder sounding, more of a "ping" to it, punchier, a little brighter, louder. Brass is softer, richer mids, and nice bloom. I will still buy the G&L saddles whenever they are available and replace the GFS ones.
There's no option available to us for a steel block at the moment. Not unless you're willing to convince Callaham to make you one, and also willing to spend a fortune.

4.) HURRY UP WITH THIS! :mrgreen:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 am

Rocktacular96 wrote:I decided to post again in this thread for a few reasons;

1.) Hurry up with this! :D

2.) I made a mistake in an earlier post about the block in the Tribute DF bridge. It is brass, not zinc. Pretty sure the DF bridges on the Tributes and USA models are the same exact thing except the saddles, and I'm not 100% sure about the saddles. The tributes might have zinc saddles.

3.) For those who can't wait for G&L steel saddles, GFS sells steel ones that work. I installed them on my 1993 Legacy, and they work great. Just the difference in tone I would expect from going from brass to steel in other guitars. Steel is harder sounding, more of a "ping" to it, punchier, a little brighter, louder. Brass is softer, richer mids, and nice bloom. I will still buy the G&L saddles whenever they are available and replace the GFS ones.
There's no option available to us for a steel block at the moment. Not unless you're willing to convince Callaham to make you one, and also willing to spend a fortune.

4.) HURRY UP WITH THIS! :mrgreen:

You might want to contact your favorite G&L dealers and ask them if they have the upgrade kits yet.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Guys,

Sorry for the delay, and Craig, sorry to leave you hanging out there without news.

We are on this. Really. I expect to have the DFS saddle set and DFS block on the store by Tuesday, maybe even Monday. The saddle set and block will be sold separately, so you're not forced to buy them as a set.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Dave

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:44 am

Is the upgrade kit on the online store?? I don't see it.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 am

Hi guys,

Unfortunately it's still delayed. We want to get this up but we're waiting to get enough of the DFS blocks and saddles. The parts we have now are already committed to instruments in production. My best guesstimate now is end of November. Thanks for hanging in there.

Dave

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:56 am

Darth Invader wrote:Hi guys,

Unfortunately it's still delayed. We want to get this up but we're waiting to get enough of the DFS blocks and saddles. The parts we have now are already committed to instruments in production. My best guesstimate now is end of November. Thanks for hanging in there.

Dave

The DFS upgrade parts are now available from the updated G&L On-Line Store.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:33 am

Craig wrote:

Dave

yeehaw!!
thanks Craig and Dave, I was wondering how to spend this weeks paycheck.
elwood

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Craig wrote:

Dave

I just found out these are no longer available from the G&L On-Line Store nor from G&L dealers. They are still optional for new guitar orders though, see: July 1, 2015-present Guitar Bridge Substitutions/Options.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:58 pm

wow - I just got in under the wire, having ordered and received the DFS upgrade parts in mid-November. They have made a very noticeable improvement in sustain. This is an unfortunate change for the folks that did not take advantage while it was available....

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 am

Rocktacular96 wrote:Also have a 1993 USA Legacy that had a zinc block. I replaced that with a Callaham steel block, and loved the results.

Hi, I have a new US Legacy and would like to replace the block and saddles. I've searched Callaham and find no G&L replacements. Did they custom make it for you or was the 93 version a different bridge that fits what they sell?

Does G&L sell bridges (I'm guessing this is the DFS bridge?) with steel blocks and saddles that would fit? I'd rather buy an entire bridge from G&L than go to the trouble of trying to get a Gotoh 510 to fit, but I certainly will...

Eh, I thought this guitar had almost the perfect strat tone and just needed some different pups, or pop out the alnico v's and try some 2's or 3's to get the punchier, janglier sound I get when I dig into a string. It has got to be definitely the block! Is it zinc or brass on these new guitars?

Any advice greatly appreciated, guys. Thanks!

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:21 pm

That is a bummer. I was hoping to upgrade to the DFS parts, but I guess I missed the boat. I wonder why they stopped offering these parts...

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:59 pm

cho wrote:That is a bummer. I was hoping to upgrade to the DFS parts, but I guess I missed the boat. I wonder why they stopped offering these parts...

It's absolutely ridiculous not to offer a steel block. In fact, with a msrp of over 2K, it never even occurred to me to check if my block was steel. Had I known, I would have either special ordered with a DFS or went with the Suhr I was debating about.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:42 am

trem wrote:It's absolutely ridiculous not to offer a steel block. In fact, with a msrp of over 2K, it never even occurred to me to check if my block was steel. Had I known, I would have either special ordered with a DFS or went with the Suhr I was debating about.

Too bad you did not find this site before making that assumption and placing your order. I posted about the 30th Anniversary models and pointed out the new DFS bridge, see: Just Announced - G&L's 30th Anniversary models.
Also, see: New DF trem block design. And, check out this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 am

Craig,

Any idea why they are not offering the DFS parts anymore? If they are still offering them as an option on guitars, then they are still manufacturing them... perhaps they were not selling well...

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:05 am

my bet is stock is low/down and G&L is saving them for there own builds until new supply comes in

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:50 am

Fumble,

I hope that is the case. Then, it might be possible that they will sell the parts again when they get more stock...

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Craig wrote:
trem wrote:It's absolutely ridiculous not to offer a steel block. In fact, with a msrp of over 2K, it never even occurred to me to check if my block was steel. Had I known, I would have either special ordered with a DFS or went with the Suhr I was debating about.

Too bad you did not find this site before making that assumption and placing your order. I posted about the 30th Anniversary models and pointed out the new DFS bridge, see: Just Announced - G&L's 30th Anniversary models.
Also, see: New DF trem block design. And, check out this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. To be clear, I'm not blaming my oversight on anyone but myself. I just think that if I can't at the very least purchase an entire DFS bridge from them and put it in my guitar, that's kind of unreasonable.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:24 am

cho wrote:Craig,

Any idea why they are not offering the DFS parts anymore? If they are still offering them as an option on guitars, then they are still manufacturing them... perhaps they were not selling well...

Fumble fingers wrote:my bet is stock is low/down and G&L is saving them for there own builds until new supply comes in

cho wrote:Fumble,

I hope that is the case. Then, it might be possible that they will sell the parts again when they get more stock...

Dave did not say why they removed them, just that they are no longer available from both the On-line store and dealers. I'm guessing that they were not a popular item so they were removed.
If they were out of stock and had intended to continue offering them, they would have left them in the On-line store with "sold out" (such as the case of BRIDGE SADDLE SET - G&L DUAL FULCRUM VIBRATO currently listed).

Re: 1991 ASAT? 1980 F-100? commemorative ASAT?

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 pm

cho wrote:And, (if you are reading this G&L), please bring back the DFS vibrato parts! You barely gave anyone a chance to try them!

I suggest you starting contacting G&L dealers to see if they have the DFS parts in stock and get them if you can find any. ;)

Last edited by Craig on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved post since it was off topic in the original location

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:35 am

Well, so far I have called about half of the premier G&L dealers, and it is pretty consistent: dealers don't keep G&L parts in stock. Many offered to check with G&L on the status of the DFS parts, so G&L will probably be getting a lot of calls today. One of the dealers said that G&L will not be offering the DFS upgrade option on new guitars, as well, which is different than what folks are saying here. Either way, it is too bad. I really think G&L is missing an opportunity here. Hopefully another manufacturer, like Callaham, will step in and fill the void...
Last edited by Craig on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved post since it was off topic in the original location

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:17 pm

cho wrote:Well, so far I have called about half of the premier G&L dealers, and it is pretty consistent: dealers don't keep G&L parts in stock. Many offered to check with G&L on the status of the DFS parts, so G&L will probably be getting a lot of calls today. One of the dealers said that G&L will not be offering the DFS upgrade option on new guitars, as well, which is different than what folks are saying here. Either way, it is too bad. I really think G&L is missing an opportunity here. Hopefully another manufacturer, like Callaham, will step in and fill the void...

I did hear back from Dave recently, when I noticed that DFS options were removed (along with a needed edit for bridge substitution):

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that edit! DFS and block only are discontinued. The take rate was just too low to manage.
I guess I can understand; stainless saddles may be different than brass, but not substantially so, and
the same with the steel block versus the brass block.

Thanks, Craig!

Dave

I have added a note to July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options post in the Knowledgebase.

Hope this helps explain it.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Well, G&L probably had several calls from dealers today regarding the DFS parts. :-) One dealer got back to me and told me that G&L said that the DFS parts are not discontinued... they are just currently unavailable, as they are having problems with the vendor. That seems to conflict slightly with info that has been presented here, so I am not sure what to think... but I would love to believe it, as it suggests that the parts will be available again after vendor issues are resolved....

Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:59 pm

the only difference is the "word " on here came straight from the horses mouth in Craigs quote from Dave aka president of G&L ....lol .... I know who's word I'm taking

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:41 pm

The thing I don't understand about Dave's reply is that he says there is not much difference between steel and brass. But are the standard tremolo blocks and saddles made of brass? I thought they were chrome plated zinc... I'm sure there is a thread that has this info, I just haven't found it yet. Does anyone have experience comparing the DFS vs. DF vibrato on the same or similar guitar?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 pm

cho wrote:The thing I don't understand about Dave's reply is that he says there is not much difference between steel and brass. But are the standard tremolo blocks and saddles made of brass? I thought they were chrome plated zinc... I'm sure there is a thread that has this info, I just haven't found it yet. Does anyone have experience comparing the DFS vs. DF vibrato on the same or similar guitar?

Since about 2001 the US DFV trem block and saddles have been chrome plated brass. Prior to that, they were die-cast (zinc), except for a short period when the trem block was steel (don't recall the timeframe, though). The Tribute Series DFV bridges have die-cast trem block and saddles (chrome plated). You might try using the Search link near the top of the forum page. Depending upon what you search on, you should find a number of posts which might help you get some more answers. Make sure to search on the GLDP and Knowledgebase sub-forums. I use it all the time.

Hope this helps.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 pm

cho wrote:Well, so far I have called about half of the premier G&L dealers, and it is pretty consistent: dealers don't keep G&L parts in stock. Many offered to check with G&L on the status of the DFS parts, so G&L will probably be getting a lot of calls today. One of the dealers said that G&L will not be offering the DFS upgrade option on new guitars, as well, which is different than what folks are saying here. Either way, it is too bad. I really think G&L is missing an opportunity here. Hopefully another manufacturer, like Callaham, will step in and fill the void...

I got nowhere with Bill, and it's my understanding that he used to make them at one time. I also asked my G&L dealer to just order me an entire DFS bridge, and he said G&L said it's discontinued.

The only thing I've been able to find is by Mike DeTemple, which is a titanium block. I'd prefer steel over titanium, but I guess that's what I'm going to have to get.

I have my bridge set forward enough to give me a major 3rd on the G string when I deck the bridge, and a month later (after purchasing the guitar) I grooved out the saddles on the E,B,G strings, so I guess I have to buff out the grooves every month or so. Going to keep the Dremel battery charged...

Perhaps G&L would be kind enough to provide the CAD drawing for their blocks so we can go to a local machinist and have a steel one made for a $50.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:30 am

[quote="Craig. The Tribute Series DFV bridges have die-cast trem block and saddles (chrome plated).

:ugeek:[/quote]

The block on my new Tribute flamed top Legacy is magnetic and chrome plated. Chrome and zinc are not magnetic.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:15 am

Duffy wrote:[quote="Craig. The Tribute Series DFV bridges have die-cast trem block and saddles (chrome plated).

The block on my new Tribute flamed top Legacy is magnetic and chrome plated. Chrome and zinc are not magnetic.

That does not surprise me, since they are die-cast zinc alloy, not just all zinc but other metals are included.

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:21 am

cho wrote:Well, G&L probably had several calls from dealers today regarding the DFS parts. :-) One dealer got back to me and told me that G&L said that the DFS parts are not discontinued... they are just currently unavailable, as they are having problems with the vendor. That seems to conflict slightly with info that has been presented here, so I am not sure what to think... but I would love to believe it, as it suggests that the parts will be available again after vendor issues are resolved....

I emailed Dave and here is his reply:

Hi Craig,

The DFS parts are discontinued. I have copied the sales and webstore address so we’re all 100% on the same page.
It seems someone here, when quizzed by a dealer, didn’t know that the parts are in fact discontinued.

Dave

Hope this helps.

PS And, please don't shoot the messenger! :scared0016: ;)

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:12 am

So, no more DFS? oh well, it was good while it lasted. I'm not really someone with an ear that would have noticed anyway. My 30th Anniversary has it, my legacy special does not.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:[quote="Craig. The Tribute Series DFV bridges have die-cast trem block and saddles (chrome plated).

That does not surprise me, since they are die-cast zinc alloy, not just all zinc but other metals are included.

Hope this helps.

I wonder if it makes much of a difference in noticeable sound whether the block is zinc, brass, or steel? A technician told me they make them out of zinc alloy so that they sound a certain way and that changing the block could produce a brighter or duller sound that you might not like as much as the original one.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 pm

Duffy wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

I wonder if it makes much of a difference in noticeable sound whether the block is zinc, brass, or steel? A technician told me they make them out of zinc alloy so that they sound a certain way and that changing the block could produce a brighter or duller sound that you might not like as much as the original one.

I did a quick search and here are a few posts to read:

DF Vibrato System vs. DFS Vibrato System
New DF trem block design
pre-BBE ASAT vs. '07 ASAT Special: Differences?
What is the '05 to '06 Bridge and Trem arm differences?

I'm sure there are more, but will let you do the searching.

From our Welcome! Read This First post:

Helpful Hint: At the bottom of each sub-forum you will find the
"Display topics from previous:" settings. Try using the Sort by Subject setting.

Also, check out the Search facility. You can focus your search within a group of forums
and/or sub-forums.

Almost forget about this link to the features page on the main G&L website: http://www.glguitars.com/features/DF-vibrato.asp.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Craig on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to features page on main G&L website.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:48 am

the only guitar I have with DFS is so different there is no way to tell where the different sound comes from ..... but I would think stainless steel frets would make a bigger impact on sound than the difference from DF verses DFS but don't know for sure , the guitars I have had switched to stainless steel frets for sure sound a little different than before