Locking tuners for Legacy Deluxe

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:18 pm

dear All

I have several G&L's(and I am not tech expert)

The newest purchase is a 2006(5) Legacy Deluxe and has normal tuners-->real exercise to restring.

Where can I get fitting locking tuners like my Comanche has(screw on the bottom of the tuner to lock the string)
Also for my 2010 Invader?

Thanks for pointing me in a direction-->its unfortunately not the online shop

Roland

Re: Locking tuners for Legacy Deluxe

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Roland, I will attempt to answer this This answer applies to American G&Ls only. G&L uses two brands of tuners. One is a G&L logo tuner which is made by Schaller. If you have the G&L logo the Schaller in line locking tuners available from StewMac are a direct drop in. If you have Sperzels (labeled as such), Sperzel locking tuners will be a direct drop in. Now lets get to the Tributes. I am not aware of any direct drop in locking tuners. These are different and will most likely require drilling no matter what brand you buy. This is no problem if you are a proficient, precise driller. Hope this helps. If you need, I could come up with the part numbers but don't have them at my keyboard.-- Darwin

Edit: Here are the appropriate part numbers from the boxes. Schallers are 2000P locking Mach Heads and the Sperzels are TK 7467-010 Sperzel Locking Tuners 6L Chrome.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:21 am

Dear Darwin

Thanks for the answer.As you guess all of mine are US made(somewhat a sentimental thing as the Tribute's are very good but for me it means something that the come out of the orginal Fender factory)

I will check my Comanche(think there is nothing written on) and order some

have fun

Roland

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:14 pm

I have an Indonesian made G&L S-500 Tribute that I wanted to add Schaller tuners to. I designed a brass jig to drill the holes for the anti-rotation pins on the back of the Schallers (will work for both the regular and locking type tuners). The jig uses self-centering screws to guarantee perfect alignment in the holes and with the edge of the headstock. My S-500 was made in 2010 and has 26.5mm hole spacing (don't know if they all have this spacing). A 2.5mm bit is used to drill the holes for the pins.

Here are some photos taken after I had already drilled the holes for the first four tuners...

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:01 am

You have done a fantastic job on this mod. I wish I had a jig but have done it on one import converting an ASAT Special to American G&L tuners. Great job!!-- Darwin

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:26 am

You can buy Schaller locking tuners for USA G&Ls at Stew Mac. They are a drop in replacement for G&L/Schaller tuners. You can also buy a guitar tuner pin placement jig at Stew Mac. The Stew Mac pin placement jig is for Fender/Schaller G&L/Schaller Ping Gotoh Sperzel etc... Fender/Schaller locking and reg tuners have two pins. G&L/Schaller locking and reg tuners have one pin. The G&L Asian guitars use Ping tuners. I went through this about a year ago when I wanted to put Schaller locking tuners on my ASAT Special. I bought the Fender/Schaller locking tuners thinking they would fit my ASAT. They did not fit because Fender/Schaller tuners have two pins and G&L Tuners only have one pin. I bought my fisrt set of G&L/Schaller locking tuners through my G&L Dealer along with two G&L pickgaurds. After that I bought 3 sets of G&L/Schaller Locking tuners from Stew Mac.